Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better - Olli H
Just renewed my patreonship for year 2019.

Here's my first version of this cool song. Hopefully I find time to make the final version. I also try to listen what others have done.

EDIT: Final version added

.mp3    YouKnowBetter-2019-01-13-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.36 MB)

.mp3    YouKnowBetter-2019-02-15-olli-h-FINAL.mp3 --  (Download: 8.36 MB)

Hi Olli ,
Nice Balanced mix , One thing that jumps on my monitors is the tambourine and the vocal sibilance !
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Good environment and well used. Good lead vocal clarity. Interesting use of detunings for the guitars. Well done. A great listen.

Tambourine?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
dark'n'dubby mix, I like! Smile ..the vocal might sound too "clear" and unglued to the rest of the 'flavored' mix.. a tiny bit though.
(13-01-2019, 08:50 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Olli ,
Nice Balanced mix , One thing that jumps on my monitors is the tambourine and the vocal sibilance !
Cheers Big Grin

Thanks,
SHould there be a tamborine? i didn't find any. Maybe you're referring to my hi-hat that's quite loud.

If there's sibilance problem I maybe try the DeEss plugin from AirWindows. I just installed all of his plugins, and they seem to sound very nice. And they look very cool, just like JS plugins in Reaper Smile
Hey Olli!

Really nice mix!

Thought I didn't like your colour of the drums at first, but nah, it works. The high hat IS a bit hot.

The other biggest qualm I have is that the vox during the chorus rises more than the music. I see you were going for an overall rise in volume from verses to chorus, but the vocal tends to jump up more than the rest of the track.

All in all, really nice work!

Draper
Thanks for comments!

(14-01-2019, 10:38 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Thought I didn't like your colour of the drums at first, but nah, it works. The high hat IS a bit hot.

One of my reaggae references had that kind of drum sound, but maybe I have to tweak it a bit.

(14-01-2019, 10:38 PM)loweche6 Wrote: The other biggest qualm I have is that the vox during the chorus rises more than the music. I see you were going for an overall rise in volume from verses to chorus, but the vocal tends to jump up more than the rest of the track.

Yes, just true, it's a clear mistake that must be fixed

Just to clarify, I did like your drum tones. They were just so different than mine, it took a bit to adjust. The high hat would be the only issue with them, as I see it, but the high hat part has a character itself, so I understand keeping it hot. It's not harsh at all, so it's not rough on the ears.

It does fit the feel!
Nicely balanced overall. Bit too much reverb for my taste, just a preference. Good job.
Hi, the balance of your mix is great and I love the space around the vocal. While personally I would not make the song as wet (esp. the delay on the rhythm guitar is too much for me), that is a matter of taste. Otherwise, it sounds awesome and I'm not sure if I can add anything relevant. If I had to point out *something* then there are four (really minor) nits:

* The long continuous notes in the background vocals in mid-section between chorus 2 and chorus 3 stand out too much. If I were to guess why, it is because they are too still, do not vary. Maybe fader riding or some other way of adding life would help? I don't know.
* Your processing exaggerates the kick/snare time difference, I don't know if this is an artistic choice, but I'm not a fan of that. I would either edit the timing of the kick (possibly without killing the loose groove feeling) or make the attack less aggressive.
* The claps at the end of the song sound a bit toyish, I'm not sure if they lack something in the midrange or they are just masked or perhaps yet something else.
* Bass disappears too much on small speakers. I have similar problem and nothing I tried worked well, so I won't suggest anything here either.

I like your mix a lot! My takeaways from it are:

* what you did to the guitars,
* space around vocal.