Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better Mix submission for 3-in-1 Mixing Contest
Here with my mix of "You Know Better" for the 3-in-1 Mixing Contest. Congratulations to Hannes Keseberg for his debut album release, and thank you for the opportunity to mix this fun song.

.mp3    You Know Better Mix v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.11 MB)

Good use of the guitars against the percussion. Nice balance throughout. I could stand to hear the mix brightened a touch in the mastering. Good solid mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Many thanks for your feedback, mixinthecloud - it's much appreciated!
Hi BKaye! A very nice balance this, albeit with some overall-tonality issues:
  • Nice dry punch to the snare, and well-rounded side-stick sound. Cymbals also pretty smooth, which helps keep the vocal upfront.
  • The overall mix tonality is generally bass-light compared with the references, and could probably do with a little less 100-300Hz too.
  • Very respectable midrange balance on the whole, with good clarity and a solid vocal level, The small-speaker bass translation is also great -- maybe a little too good, in fact, in terms of competing for attention with the verse vocal occasionally.
  • There's a serious low-midrange build-up around 200-300Hz when the Hammond arrives in the Chorus, which makes it sound muddy.
  • Liked the long-term dynamics, especially the transition from Chorus 3 into the Outro. It opens out really well in that feel-god kind of way.
  • Tasteful and appropriate use of effects -- the mix really glues together, but without distancing anything unduly.
  • Is there a little too much presence on the second Hammond part? It just feels like the vocal is being masked a little too much by it in the latter choruses. Perhaps some EQ automation would help square the circle here, because the Hammond sound is nice on those occasions when it's a 'feature'.

Hope that's useful, and thanks for getting involved!
Hello Mike!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my mix, as well as for your constructive feedback. The details about the mix's tonal issues has helped clarify my own doubts about the mix's overall spectral balance, and I can now attempt to address the build up in those frequency areas more confidently.

I found myself singing along with the verse Bass lines during the latter stages of the mixing process, which was probably an indication of overcooking its presence!

I'll revisit the second Hammond part with your suggestion, paying particular attention to how it sits against the vocal.

Many thanks for organizing this learning opportunity!
(16-01-2019, 01:47 AM)B Kaye Wrote: Hello Mike!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my mix, as well as for your constructive feedback. The details about the mix's tonal issues has helped clarify my own doubts about the mix's overall spectral balance, and I can now attempt to address the build up in those frequency areas more confidently.

I found myself singing along with the verse Bass lines during the latter stages of the mixing process, which was probably an indication of overcooking its presence!

I'll revisit the second Hammond part with your suggestion, paying particular attention to how it sits against the vocal.

Many thanks for organizing this learning opportunity!

Glad it was helpful -- and good luck with the contest! Smile

I've attached a revised version of my mix for "You Know Better" building on the helpful feedback I received for v1.

For the mixing contest, I would like "You Know Better Mix v2" to be my official and final mix submission. Thanks again for the opportunity!

.mp3    You Know Better Mix v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.1 MB)