Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You Know Better mixed by Rob Ursino
Hi there,
great tune!
I use some automation for reduce plosives and "s" in the vocal track and also to reduce the dynamics! I also hear a couple of resonant frequencies in the low mid and I use a notch filter;

I finish the track at -11db LUFS, maybe somewhere in between streaming and CDs loudness...
Good mixing to everyone and good luck for the contest!

Ciao

Edit: I try to make some adjustments following Mike's feedback, so please consider the last one for the contest!

.mp3    You know better by Hannes Keseberg - Robmix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

.mp3    You know better by Hannes Keseberg - mixed by Rob Ursino.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

I like the "MTV unplugged" vibe you have going there.

The breakdown after the second chorus, pulling back to a filtered vocal and no drums, then cutting back in with the snare hits, works very well.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
Very creative arrangement. I found the rhythm guitar a bit heavy handed against the rest of the mix. Other than that minor point this is a fun listen. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you guys! I will probably make a litte revision before submit the final version and after, hoping to receive, feedback from Mike... after all only "Mike knows better!"
(12-01-2019, 05:24 PM)Rob Sidhe Wrote: Thank you guys! I will probably make a litte revision before submit the final version and after, hoping to receive, feedback from Mike... after all only "Mike knows better!"

All Hannes on deck...

Sorry Big Grin
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
In general, I love the way you've been working with the arrangement -- you've clearly got a good ear for that! Introducing the claps in the intro was canny, too, as a foreshadowing of the Outro. Wish I'd thought of that! Smile Anyway, here are some more ideas:
  • The Chorus 3 drop-down is another arrangement highlight, especially as it's prefaced by a delay spin that was prepared at the end of Verse 2. However, when the drums return, it feels odd that the bass doesn't too. I realise that might be because that's what I did Rolleyes but I think the contrast would also be better in your case that way.
  • The second verse's arrangement is pretty much identical to the first, so I find my attention wandering. How are you going to refresh the material there?
  • The biggest improvements you can make now would be on the engineering side. The overall mix tonality is very bass-light below 100Hz or so, and the hi-hat has a bit of a 3kHz edginess to it, but the vocal's sub-250Hz energy is nonetheless making the mix sound a little congested. I'd suggest stripping out some of the processing and trying to do a bit more work with the faders if possible, as I think that might give a more open-sounding result. Remember too that the vocal should be king here, no matter how cool the arrangement stunts.
  • The overdrive guitar sound is cool in its own right, but I wonder whether it's a bit too much of a stretch into classic rock territory for this song. Also, its riffing in Chorus 2 is combining with the hi-hat harshness element to make the whole mix almost feel like it's distorting -- as well as masking the vocal, of course.

Hope some of that's handy for you -- thanks for posting!
(16-01-2019, 01:48 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: In general, I love the way you've been working with the arrangement -- you've clearly got a good ear for that! Introducing the claps in the intro was canny, too, as a foreshadowing of the Outro. Wish I'd thought of that! Smile Anyway, here are some more ideas:
  • The Chorus 3 drop-down is another arrangement highlight, especially as it's prefaced by a delay spin that was prepared at the end of Verse 2. However, when the drums return, it feels odd that the bass doesn't too. I realise that might be because that's what I did Rolleyes but I think the contrast would also be better in your case that way.
  • The second verse's arrangement is pretty much identical to the first, so I find my attention wandering. How are you going to refresh the material there?
  • The biggest improvements you can make now would be on the engineering side. The overall mix tonality is very bass-light below 100Hz or so, and the hi-hat has a bit of a 3kHz edginess to it, but the vocal's sub-250Hz energy is nonetheless making the mix sound a little congested. I'd suggest stripping out some of the processing and trying to do a bit more work with the faders if possible, as I think that might give a more open-sounding result. Remember too that the vocal should be king here, no matter how cool the arrangement stunts.
  • The overdrive guitar sound is cool in its own right, but I wonder whether it's a bit too much of a stretch into classic rock territory for this song. Also, its riffing in Chorus 2 is combining with the hi-hat harshness element to make the whole mix almost feel like it's distorting -- as well as masking the vocal, of course.

Hope some of that's handy for you -- thanks for posting!
Thank you so much Mike! I will attempt to improve my mix bearing in mind your invaluable suggestions! Blush