Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alone With You (Newbie Version)
Why did I call this the newbie version? Because I just started learning to mix last year, and this is my first attempt at trying to completely mix a whole song. I didn't try to do too much with the instruments.

I moreso want to get tips on the lead and BG vocals, as my mix sounds completely horrific to me. All feedback welcome.

.mp3    Alone With You Newbie Version.mp3 --  (Download: 10.39 MB)

Im gonna fix the vocals and post another version of it, later. I totally screwed this one.
Hey everybody starts somewhere, lots of us are still newbies too. I think it's cool, everybody is learning together.

You didn't pick an easy one for your first mix by the sounds of this song. Good news is, besides the vocals being loud, your balance of the rest of the band is good. I actually find that having a sense of balance is a lot harder than being able to make individual elements sound good.

Obviously there is a lot of distortion on the vocals and also the toms and cymbals. Did you try to add this in as an effect or was it unintentional? If you added it, distortion can be a great tool in mixing, you just have to learn when to use it and how much. Tone it down in this case. If not, then watch your levels, just turn everything way down. Digital clipping is the devil.

I look forward to your next go though, just monitor at a reasonable level and trust your ears.
You wanna hear some jacked up mixes just listen to some of mine and I've been doing this a lot longer! I don't know if you've been using sends for the voice or adding the distortion/eq directly. I like sending my signal to the effects/plugins to a different buss. That way when you add anything additional to the signal it come out a lot more gracefully. A definite for delays and reverb. Stick with it!
This is what I was trying to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSG6HLeg6Ro