Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg-"You Know Better"
Country meets Reggae kind of vibe.

V2: Pushed the bass a little.

V3: More vocal automation

.mp3    You Know Better_Hannes Keseberg_Faders_Up21.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

.mp3    You Know Better_Hannes Keseberg_V2_Contest.mp3 --  (Download: 8.4 MB)

.mp3    You Know Better_Hannes Keseberg_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.41 MB)

We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
For a reggae meets country take, the low end is thinner than I would expect. The drums feel forced and squashed without the slightest hint of any dynamics. And my right ear feels left out of the ear candy.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-01-2019, 02:13 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: For a reggae meets country take, the low end is thinner than I would expect. The drums feel forced and squashed without the slightest hint of any dynamics. And my right ear feels left out of the ear candy.

Thanks for the listen MITC. Sorry about your right ear.
Better. Much. My right ears is much happier too. LOL
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Great Mix
Hi Scott ,
Nice balanced mix !
One thing that jumps out on my monitors is the vocal sibilance around 8-11k ,not sure maybe enhanced by the hi hats and cymbals o compression in the same frequency area !
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(11-01-2019, 10:19 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Scott ,
Nice balanced mix !
One thing that jumps out on my monitors is the vocal sibilance around 8-11k ,not sure maybe enhanced by the hi hats and cymbals o compression in the same frequency area !
Well Done
Cheers Big Grin

Totally right Don. It's bugging me too. I'll work on that when I get a chance. Thx!
Did a little more work on the vocal. Still sounds a little too bright maybe.
V3 is nice and punchy and all the sounds are good. It still lacks the dynamics I feel the song is demanding. The depth is good as is the balance between parts.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Faders_up! Nice open sound here, with sensible balancing of the instruments and lots of good mix-effects use. The vocal's well upfront, as well, which is sensible. Some other specifics:
  • The kick seems to have rather a rock-style beater-slap to it (particularly audible in the Reintro and Outro), which makes the rhythm as a whole seem too staccato and aggressive stylistically. Is there too much compression on the drums buss? Again, the transients sound like they're being overenhanced by a slow compressor attack.
  • Nice solo guitar tone, and very tastefully balanced to avoid conflicting with the lead vocal.
  • Your mix tonality is bright enough to make the already-bright library preview mix sound muffled, so I'd rebalance that. I'd suggest removing a bit of 150Hz too, in favour of more sub-80Hz.
  • The vocal balancing is great -- really nails it into place! (Other entrants would do well to listen to this, as it's not easy to do.) You could take a bit of low midrange from the falsetto moments in the choruses, perhaps, as this would allow you bring them through clearer with your fader automation.
  • Long-term dynamics are also good, which speaks of careful planning. However, the mix still feels quite static, so I'd look to try to use more detailed automation bring out more of the details and direct/maintain the listener's attention more

Hope some of that is useful -- thanks for getting involved!