Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All The Same
This is such a good song! With this mix I was going for a big and wide feel.

I had a ton of trouble with the vocals and still need to clean them up a bit (probably too much compression at the moment but my ears need a break). Other than the vocals I didn't use much compression - the tracks were recorded really well. Mostly just added some EQ and reverb to some tracks, and an expander on the main guitar.

Hopefully it's not lop-sided like some of my other mixes, I tried to pay close attention to the phase/level meters instead of trusting my crap hearing although I feel like it might still be favoring the right side a bit. Please let me know if it sounds centered or lop-sided.

Any thoughts welcome!

.mp3    NorthToAlaska-AllTheSame.mp3 --  (Download: 5.51 MB)

AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
(08-01-2019, 06:39 PM)mmm Wrote: This is such a good song! With this mix I was going for a big and wide feel.

I had a ton of trouble with the vocals and still need to clean them up a bit (probably too much compression at the moment but my ears need a break). Other than the vocals I didn't use much compression - the tracks were recorded really well. Mostly just added some EQ and reverb to some tracks, and an expander on the main guitar.

Hopefully it's not lop-sided like some of my other mixes, I tried to pay close attention to the phase/level meters instead of trusting my crap hearing although I feel like it might still be favoring the right side a bit. Please let me know if it sounds centered or lop-sided.

Any thoughts welcome!

Terrific energy and the eq’ing translates pretty well. Vocals are a bit sibilant, mainly with the reverb Try dessing them and sounds like maybe a buss compressor is squashing the mix in the heavier parts. Also the drums are getting washed out there also. Maybe some automation in those parts.
Thanks for the tips!

I've got a compressor filtering on 4.5k to try and easy the sibilance - I'll have to play with that and the reverb a bit and see if I can ease that up.

I agree with the drums, listening to the mix on a different system (truck stereo) I really noticed that they were washing out too.

I'll post an updated mix when I get a change to play with things again.
AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
Hey I like the mix....I've been experimenting with the aphex plugins from waves...I'll set up an effects bus and send them...the heavier the sharper the voice comes out. It seems to add some harmonics too. Also, have you tried limiting the voice...I think your right thats the only thing that really needs attention I think the overall mix is well done.