Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
You Know Better - Ale Lak Mix (Patron Member) - TEST MIXES - UNOFFICIAL for contest
Hey guys,

I did lot of mixes, I went through several ideas, and I am setting this post as unofficial because I would like to keep the different works I did here, I will open I new thread with my last mix which I believe will be the final one.
Cheers,
Ale Lak

the official link to my final mix for the contest: FINAL MIX

.mp3    Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better (Ale Lak pre-mix Cambridge MT contest).mp3 --  (Download: 8.73 MB)

.mp3    Hannes Kaseberg - You Know Better ( Ale Lak Mix and Prod) --- UPDATED V2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

.mp3    Hannes Kaseberg - You Know Better ( Ale Lak Mix and Prod) --- UPDATED V3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Some very cool arrangement ideas. You did a lot of work in two days. I do like the piano adds and most of the guitar re-amps. Some may go a bit too far, but mostly fun and inventive. The shaker made me smile. One question, why didn't you just re-record the vocals too? That's a joke. The sounds are all good and the mix is good as well. Not sure this is what the artist was after but you've done some very creative things here and executed them well. Nice job.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-01-2019, 12:09 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Some very cool arrangement ideas. You did a lot of work in two days. I do like the piano adds and most of the guitar re-amps. Some may go a bit too far, but mostly fun and inventive. The shaker made me smile. One question, why didn't you just re-record the vocals too? That's a joke. The sounds are all good and the mix is good as well. Not sure this is what the artist was after but you've done some very creative things here and executed them well. Nice job.

Thanks for the feedback! Well, in my opinion this song is very cool, but it's a very simple song, I mean...you have almost the same groove the entire music, I thought funny when I opened the files and saw 2 drum tom tracks, but just the first high tom had only one hit!! If you listen, the harmony it's also very simples...in resume, that's a a background music for a singer who has a strong voice (and as he said by himself, his influences comes from John Mayer, Jamie Cullum, Jack Johnson...etc), so, all thoase artists has a kind of soft genre of sound, but if you listen, there is a huge production and care about the arrangements and musical stuff. When I listened the oficial version of "You Know Better" I cloud see that even the engineer did some changes from the original takes, like wistle loops, some drum stops, there is a part the bass is cut off to create some dynamic. So I thought, this composition has more potential to be worked over than this simple background which makes the instrumental under the artist. In my perception, listining to the original recording, I could feel a intent to make a progressive music, and if you listen to the vocal, you see emotion, not just a groove intent to make a kind of reggae and cool music and disposable. So...of course, that's my point of view...the main composition claims to a better arrangement. We already have a cool guitar riffs, I didn't anything about the guitar and bass...but I felt a little hole in the drums and the keys, what I changed a little bit, and as you said....my mix is sounding too wet....I really left the guitar a liitle far away...too much effects, normal for the first version. I really thing everything sounding more dry and roomy will have a better result.
You mentioned about guitar's reamp....I din't... the only thing I did about it is in the DI guitar which clearly is asking for it....but the other 2 guitars (base and solo) I just used the both mic takes to create a stereo bus of each one and did the basic, eq + compression and a ambience.
I am having some issues with the vocal...I confess is being a little boring to mix because there is lot of low frequencies and the singer seems like change his position many times so when I think I match the eq, comes that harshness around 2k...and I have a problem with equalizers, it's like a obsessive compulsive disorder.... if I start equalizing something with too much dynamics and peak changes over the music after a while when I see my inserts and eqs it's unbeliveable...that's a pure mess!
Well, I will try again and re-post it....let's see what sounds...
cheers!
Come on!!
Anyone got any suggestions for me? I'm going to up a new version today, I would like to receive some feedbacks. Or I'll think that my mix it´s the best and you're jealous! LOL!! Just kidding, I'm not overbearing, I just want someone to say "this is bad", "this is bad too", "change that", "look for another hobby". Just put the knife in...don't be shy!
I'm jealous.

OK. I think the lead guitar gets to thick and masks the great piano adds you did. And the modulation is too broad at times.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-01-2019, 12:53 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I'm jealous.

OK. I think the lead guitar gets to thick and masks the great piano adds you did. And the modulation is too broad at times.

great!! that's true! Great tip! I was felling something was masking the piano around medium and also high medium frequencies sometimes but I stopped in frequencies and compression issues in the vocals and bass and I blemed then still now for all my mix problens since I had think I souved the problens whith hight and low frenquencies of the base guitar and had other channel to have a high frequencie's fight... well...few words, lot of help!! thank you!! I will apply this in my next mix. Big Grin
(11-01-2019, 12:53 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I'm jealous.

Hey! I did some changes you suggested! Big Grin
I think we'd have to call this a variation on a theme. It made me smile. Well done. Excellent.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(13-01-2019, 03:13 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I think we'd have to call this a variation on a theme. It made me smile. Well done. Excellent.

Thank you! ...could almost call it as a remix Big Grin ...anyway, maybe I went to far, but I had fun working on it.
A super-bold vision, this! I like! Smile In terms of more specific feedback, here are some ideas:
  • Love the modulated wah guitar-sound too. Genuinely ear-catching, yet doesn't feel too out of place stylistically.
  • I like most of the arrangement moves, but the transition into Chorus 2 falls flat. I think it's moving the cymbal onto the downbeat that makes it feel too stiff. The middle-section seems to be lacking a little midrange 'filling' as well -- sounds a touch hollow, somehow.
  • The snare/stick sounds too thin by comparison with the thunderous kick. This robs the fills of some dramatic impact. In general the kit feels quite dislocated, with the added samples (eg. the tom at 2:14) seeming too much like artificial add-ons.
  • There's a bit of 'bloat' building up between the kick and bass at the low end. Differentiating them a bit more tonally would clarify both the beat and the bass melody.
  • The Pre-Intro noise is unwise in the competition situation. Just feels like an inappropriate first impression to make.
  • I think the piano part is currently something of a hostage to fortune. I totally see the point of it in terms of adding realism and extra interest to that part, but it's drawing too much attention to itself, especially during the first two verses. It's something the band didn't do themselves, yet it frequently distracts from things they did, so it's a pretty risky move.

Hope that helps -- love hearing genuinely arresting new visions like this!