Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Rescue Me" mixed by Yago
Hi, folks!

This is my first attempt mixing "Rescue Me" by Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers!

I tried to mix the live vibe with studio quality!

I hope you guys like it, and please leave a comment if you have any suggestion Smile

.mp3    01 - Amy Helm & The Handsome Strangers - Rescue Me.mp3 --  (Download: 9.78 MB)

There's something about the vocal, like it's squashed or something. That's understandable because the raw was so very inconsistent level wise, but it shows too much against that plain natural sounding snare. Compression aside, it's also quite dark, it doesn't cut thru the mix.

Anything else is allright, I like the subtle left side reverb on the guitar (it makes a good 3D effect during that weird second half of the solo). Kudos for keeping that mandoline kinda restrained.

There might be some fullness lacking, something more to do with the master bus than any track in particular. It could be you did too much or too little with it? Whatever, good job but perfectly open to some improvements, I'm sure.
(08-01-2019, 03:56 PM)Deliza Wrote: There's something about the vocal, like it's squashed or something. That's understandable because the raw was so very inconsistent level wise, but it shows too much against that plain natural sounding snare. Compression aside, it's also quite dark, it doesn't cut thru the mix.

Anything else is allright, I like the subtle left side reverb on the guitar (it makes a good 3D effect during that weird second half of the solo). Kudos for keeping that mandoline kinda restrained.

There might be some fullness lacking, something more to do with the master bus than any track in particular. It could be you did too much or too little with it? Whatever, good job but perfectly open to some improvements, I'm sure.

Thanks for your notes! Now listening again maybe I overcompressed the lead vocals (I was too annoyed with the amount of dynamics on the perfomance hahaha). I tried to give a vintage vibe on the vocals, but maybe I did not eqed enough.

This is one of my first mixes on my new speakers: a pair of NS-10's, so I'm learning how everything sounds on these monitors.

Thanks!!!
I like this (apart from the issue with the vocals) - nice Fleetwood Mac drums! All the instruments sound good and well balanced to me.
I like this mix, nice dry