Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SALON 8 (mix 1)
Toms missing and was too lazy to create some midi ones.
Well I cheated a lil on the volume. It's bad when the signal to noise ration is soooooo close to each other. You can't have a decent volume.
Anybody else struggled with this?? how did you manage to get a good volume?
Anyways here is my mix 1.. it's a chill song.. I lost focus by the end..
Hope it sounds interesting enough.

.mp3    Salon8Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.85 MB)

I just took a look at the tracks for this and a lot are very low. I've had other tracks I've downloaded from various places I just open them in Ocenaudio (or whatever wav/audio editor you have) and increase the volume, usually use Normalize as it is the quickest way. In Ocenaudio you can set the level to peak at and unlink the channels so they increase in volume independently of each other.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Qué pasa, Shul! It's been a while since I did struggle with this one, but out of those stereo printed parts ("ITS A TRAP!"), I don't remember loudness as an issue. I usually go for a -20dB LUFS when mixing and 95% of the times that means kinda conservative fader levels after some severe gain staging on most tracks (lowering their volume clip level in Reaper). I think this was no different. Actually, though I don't think I made a particularly solid job, it ended up being easily louder than most of my mixes but then I'm pretty chicken with levels. I do remember I tweaked levels using clip envelopes* (cool because you can see what you do to the waveform, contrary to automating faders) before applying compression or any other serious processing, mostly to tame the RMS/Peak ratio (going for a -20dB RMS/-5dB peak, though I'm way more relaxed about that these days).

You have a LOUD kickdrum, could it be it has too much transient in its attack, therefore denying you of some headroom to make the mix louder?

In the choruses, as guitar tracks seem to take a step back, that kick gets even bigger and the mix loses gel. Those kinda dark grungy chords were very useful to me compensating that the guitar arrangement was changing a super wide double tracked arpeggio guitar for a thinner sounding arpeggio. As it is, verses seem to have more energy than the choruses. The BV's could help to go bigger and more intense, methinks.

The verses main arpeggio guitar is a like a test on character I'm afraid almost none of us did pass (surely, I didn't). If I was to try this again, I definitely would drop the double tracked part, it's just too messy and fudges the stereo image really badly. Also, some of the stereo treatment in the raws has bad phase issues.

*There's like 4 or 5 ways to handle levels in Reaper. Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl9X3CVkdLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQa5DkVjPU

Thanks for the input Feliza.. I'll check the vids out. The issue is the signal to noise ration. You can only boost the gain so much. But I'll manage. Thanks.