Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dad's Glad - My Mix & Master
Warning: Master might be loud! Turn down speakers.

I am an audio student with about 2-3 years of mixing experience. Usually, I'm confident with my skills, but I go on cambridge once in a while to see what others think of what I do.

If the song had double tracked guitars, then it would have been far easier to mix. Listening to it now, I don't think my mix has enough stereo width because of it. Now that I think about it, I could've used more reverb on the guitar.

I replaced the snare, kick, and all the toms with Slate Trigger. The original overheads were used. I did have to edit one or two drum fills that sounded a bit rough and sloppy to my ears.

I added some high-end distortion to bring out more of the hand movement on the bass. It is usually a technique used for heavy metal (which is what I normally mix), but here it seems to work interestingly well according to my ears.

Vocals were tricky to get right. They do not seem to sit in any one spot, so I spent good time with volume/panning automation with each phrase in the attempt to make it sit right throughout. Chorus effect was added to background vocals.

For mastering, I added a bit of compression, multiband, and EQ and then hit with a final limiter. The typical stuff just to smooth and balance things out further. I didn't make it as loud as I wanted to since the song is so dynamic, but I make it as loud as I could without any weird volume drops or distortion.

Tell me what you think! (don't hold back) Big Grin

EDIT: I tweaked a couple of things including fixing the stereo width, adding melodyne to vox, etc. Be sure to look at the new mix.

.mp3    Dad\'s Glad MASTER final.mp3 --  (Download: 9.14 MB)

.mp3    BlueLitMoon_DadsGlad r1 final.mp3 --  (Download: 9.14 MB)