Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Drag Me Down
Here is my mix of Drag Me Down. I left out a lot of elements that I felt were not needed, as well, added some very obvious transitional effects between sections as they did not come off as cohesive, as per the current arrangement. So this mix is really about discarding elements, that while nice on their own, perhaps cloud the arrangement, or busy the mix. I went for simplicity.

Cheers!
Glenn

.mp3    DragMix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

I think the FX processing you did is too much. Tail on delays are too strong among other fx I hear there that is overwhelming and just give you that overprocess feel from it.

It's an interesting take but I believe it's affecting the drums clarity and guitars fight with each other too much for attention. I would go easier on your fx.
(06-01-2019, 02:35 AM)Shul Wrote: I think the FX processing you did is too much. Tail on delays are too strong among other fx I hear there that is overwhelming and just give you that overprocess feel from it.

It's an interesting take but I believe it's affecting the drums clarity and guitars fight with each other too much for attention. I would go easier on your fx.

Thank you for the comments.
I actually think that overcompressed sound gives a really cool effect in this track, just not when it is applied to the entire mix. It sounds like like you're absolutely smashing a compressor on the 2 bus which brings out those cool resonances and delay tails and stuff but it also kind of kills the dynamic of the song a little.

I would suggest applying that compression to certain elements of the mix, like running it in parallel on the vocals with the effects, and on the ostinato-ish guitar parts, synths and piano. Then let the drums, rhythm guitar and bass breathe so you have a solid rhythm section with some nice effected washy harmonic content filling in the space.

So again, I think it's a really cool sound, it just needs to be controlled. But I like that you're being creative, it makes your mix different to most.