Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.88 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better (Patron Member) - Post MS Comment Competition Final
Happy New Year to everyone!

Here is my Patron Member post. I had 2 prelim gos earlier and after listening to Mike's great album mix on Spotify, while I didn't copy it, it helped me to find my own niche on go #3 and I'm happy with it.

I was premeditating this song in the list before I knew there was a contest attached, I was attracted to the dynamic arrangement and decided to stay songful with the part placement fly-ins from the end of the stems.

UPDATE 3: File named "You Know Better V3 CMT Competition FINAL.m4a" is the final after MS mid competition comments and hearing some betterment I wanted to inject in the first final:

CD WAV file: https://s3.amazonaws.com/digitaldruglord...+FINAL.wav

.m4a    You Know better DDL_Patron.m4a --  (Download: 23.48 MB)

.m4a    You Know better Patreon F.m4a --  (Download: 22.42 MB)

.m4a    You Know Better - DDL-Post-MS-FINAL-competition.m4a --  (Download: 21.41 MB)

.m4a    You Know Better V3 CMT Competition FINAL.m4a --  (Download: 22.22 MB)

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
The only thing that stands out to me is that snare.. is very loud.. but the rest of the mix is awesome.
I really like this one, warm, deep and spacefull ! Good job also with the toms which i had a little hard time gettin to a good spot
(05-01-2019, 10:12 AM)Shul Wrote: The only thing that stands out to me is that snare.. is very loud.. but the rest of the mix is awesome.

Thanks Shul.. the reason I placed the snare a bit forward was to grasp a reggae drum feel and ska bass feel. Make it floaty in presentation.

I hope you are doing well.
(05-01-2019, 01:23 PM)oeltingbeats Wrote: I really like this one, warm, deep and spacefull ! Good job also with the toms which i had a little hard time gettin to a good spot

Greetings, thanks for the comment. The toms on this are a bit of a challenge in placing in well with the foundation of the beat: I used the Oxford Envolution to isolate the toms in the tracks and increased the gain of the toms to sit within the groove.
great mix!! the percussion seems like it's dancing in the stereo field which is a good thing. However may be a little loud Smile

Could also use more bass during the chorus.
(06-01-2019, 02:54 AM)ayite96 Wrote: great mix!! the percussion seems like it's dancing in the stereo field which is a good thing. However may be a little loud Smile

Could also use more bass during the chorus.

Thanks for this observation. I opted to focus on a steady beat and placing some focus on the rhythmic character of the rim, snare, HH, Congas, and kick... I believe different listeners may focus on different details of a mix, the percussion in this song have quite a dynamic performance on its own.. I wanted to try to make even the performance of the HH/congas to be audible enough to hear all of their dynamic nuances.

The chorus mix decision here offers up a few additional parts not in the original stems and tries to keep all objects clear and the musicalities audible...

Its possible to nudge objects in the mix to specific feels of course.. my goal here was to nail at least a 95% of a release level result for purposes of the contest post.
Posted my Patreon final version. Multiple ears can't be wrong, so I made adjustments incorporating Shul and ayite96 observations.
Hey DDL
Great job with Patreon F ,
Enjoyed listening
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

The unusual arrangement, a little distortion in places and the heavy plodding of the kit seems out of character for the song. The mix is solid as are most of the instrumental sounds but the arrangement seems to step on itself to many times.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]