Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
McLovins: 'Buildin' It Up' kapu mix
something fishy about drums. ^_^

.mp3    mclovins___buildin__it_up__kapu_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.42 MB)

Good mix kapu here are some observations.

*would have liked a bit more clarity on the vox.. but then I understand that if you thin that out the snare texture changes.
*Feels like the bass is a lil too upfront but goes well with the mix. Especially in that wahwah part.
*you could enhance the top end on cymbals just a tad.
*cool automation on the bass at the end. though a lil strong for my taste.
*Balances are pretty good. you dealt well with those bleeds in the song.
(05-01-2019, 09:36 AM)Shul Wrote: Good mix kapu here are some observation. [...]

thanks for listening. im trying to learn reaper. i dont think there should be any (deliberate) automation. eventually got a bit frustrated with the drum inconsistencies, so its a bit half-ready anyway. ^_^
(05-01-2019, 02:26 PM)kapu Wrote:
(05-01-2019, 09:36 AM)Shul Wrote: Good mix kapu here are some observation. [...]

thanks for listening. im trying to learn reaper. i dont think there should be any (deliberate) automation. eventually got a bit frustrated with the drum inconsistencies, so its a bit half-ready anyway. ^_^

That's true. I mixed mine in logic. This is a hard song to mix in a daw that you are not familiar with. Plus I have old plugins that i'm used to and just helped me fix some issues. Though it looks like I'm gonna have to use some of your approach because the bass really brings the song alive in a nice way. So it should be up front.
Looking forward to see more work on this.. it's a hard mix.. unless you remove the main Vox then it becomes more manageable Lol
(05-01-2019, 10:00 PM)Shul Wrote: That's true. I mixed [...]

its probably one of those cases where the loose 'live' approach works much better. ^_^
Love the bass. I did not have the balls to give it that much prominence but it works great. I think maybe it could have laid back some during the Hammond solo?

This song has a lot little nooks and crannies of melodic hooks and phrases which can be used to enhance the song. Letting one part shine over another will result in a new and different melodic phrase to tickle the ears. This mix is really powerful. Nice job.

One minor complaint...you could have cleaned up the end. The song is unfinished without that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(02-02-2019, 11:42 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Love the bass. I [...]

thanks for feedback! yes, forgot those ending noises. ^_^