Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
'The Last Stand' -- Indemuse mix
Thanks to Ikebe Shakedown for the cool song!

After listening to the preview I got a real Montreaux vibe from the song. I did take the liberty of moving the guitar to one side and arranged the horns to the other side (Worked with the stereo room tracks), as I imagined the group jamming on a live stage. The percussion was panned out for what I hope is a nice stereo effect.

I added a parallel room verb to the drums to set them back a little and added light 1176 to the bass just to get it to sit nicely.

On the mix bus I ran everything through a J37 tape and an SSL bus compressor just for a little glue.

As far as EQ goes I didn't really use any. The multi-track kinda helped me out in that area - The arrangement and recordings were awesome! For example - I listened to the guitar tracks as being one dark, one bright. I used their levels to "EQ" the part.

Did a little automation on the guitar bus and horn bus and that's about it. Rendered to a 320k mp3 because I guess the full wave is too big...

.mp3    Ikebe_Shakedown_The_Last_Stand_Indemuse_Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)

Hey Indemuse. I think this was a far attempt, if it had more volume it would'v been alot closer. I think though that i would want more snare to drive the song, otherwise nice horns. Also i think that the guitar feels a bit missplaced, very hard panned. It would sound more natural if it had some more lowend to counter the rest of the lowmids and mids in the sidechannels, for ex the room mics.
Thanks for the feedback. It was a mix with no mastering or limiting. Hence the low volume... Also, as I explained in the synopsis, I was going for a natural stage setup like what you would hear if standing in front of them in a theater-style atmosphere. The guitar being off to one side would actually sound like that because of the placement of the player and his amp on stage.

I'll try your suggestions and see how it turns out. Very fair assessment, thank you!
I see what you mean about the volume thing. I will definitely submit hotter mixes in the future.
(04-01-2019, 02:05 AM)Indemuse Wrote: EDITS AND CORRECTIONS ADDED. Hope this is better...

Thanks to Ikebe Shakedown for the cool song!

After listening to the preview I got a real Montreaux vibe from the song. I did take the liberty of moving the guitar to one side and arranged the horns to the other side (Worked with the stereo room tracks), as I imagined the group jamming on a live stage. The percussion was panned out for what I hope is a nice stereo effect.

I added a parallel room verb to the drums to set them back a little and added light 1176 to the bass just to get it to sit nicely.

On the mix bus I ran everything through a J37 tape and an SSL bus compressor just for a little glue.

As far as EQ goes I didn't really use any. The multi-track kinda helped me out in that area - The arrangement and recordings were awesome! For example - I listened to the guitar tracks as being one dark, one bright. I used their levels to "EQ" the part.

Did a little automation on the guitar bus and horn bus and that's about it. Rendered to a 320k mp3 because I guess the full wave is too big...

.mp3    Ikebe_Shakedown_The_Last_Stand_Indemuse_Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.71 MB)