Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Ikebe Shakedown: 'The Last Stand' kapu mix
I actually like the distortion in the horns. It gives them a real 'in your face, attitude - like the players are really into playing the song. Nice!
(10-01-2019, 07:04 PM)Indemuse2 Wrote: I actually like [...]

distorting, smashing, squishing and squeezing make things great again! ^_^
added dryer mix. ^_^
Very "in the face" and compression heavy. I'm not convinced if it really suits this material.
For me this mix would be nicer with more dynamic range. Drums for sure.
Drier drums and percussion sounds great, more focused and vinylesque. But they also leave more free space and it seems you made horns lighter and thinner (specially trumpet and trombone), I'm missing the fullness they had in v1. Guitar seems to be the same, more or less. V1 horns with V2 rhyhthm section would check all boxes, methinks.
(29-01-2019, 06:33 PM)TMik Wrote: Very "in the face" [...]

thanks for listening! point taken, although im probably going to stay with the heavily compressed approach. ^_^
(29-01-2019, 08:33 PM)Deliza Wrote: Drier drums and [...]

thanks! earlier versions relied heavily on the room mics, and the horns came a lot from there. indeed, in the latest version the panned horn close mics could be brought up a few dBs. ^_^
When I read all the work you did on the kick, I got dizzy. I must say though, your results are excellent. The sloppy footed drummer was a real hassle and I did my best without quite as much work as you did. I especially like the cymbals and toms in your mix. The horns also have great body to them. Very nicely done. A great listen. You've succeeded in adding some excitement to an otherwise staid, yet solid song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-02-2019, 03:48 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: When I read all the work [...]

thanks for listening! writing the description about kick probably took more time than the actual 'work'. ^_^
(08-02-2019, 01:12 PM)kapu Wrote:
(07-02-2019, 03:48 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: When I read all the work [...]

thanks for listening! writing the description about kick probably took more time than the actual 'work'. ^_^

LOL Tongue
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]