Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright (first mix here)
My first mix here, glad to have found all these stems for playing around with!

I don't really know what I'm doing with this mixing stuff so any tips would be great - I just keep playing around until I think it sounds good.

I'd love some ideas on how to make the kick and piano stand out a little more. It seems like both are fighting with something else but I can't figure it out...

This was done in Studio One 3 (Artist version) - mostly on cheapo Sony earbuds so I imaging there's a bunch of issues because of that. Curious to know what it sounds like on a set of monitors with a sub.

Thanks!

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers-ImAlright.Mp3 --  (Download: 4.12 MB)

AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
Your bottom end is not to bad.
But it is very toppy, did you do any EQ at all? Maybe the ear-buds are lacking in the top end?
With the other song, did you also mix it on the ear-buds?, as it is way different to this in respect frequency response.

The biggest problem with the mix is the drums are buried and everything else is high in the mix.

Kick, depends on what kind of sound you are looking for - and depends greatly on how it was recorded, the mic, positioning and the kick itself.
A kick with head (skin) on the front will sound different to one without. A kick with a sound hole will sound different again. Different types of beaters will give different sounds as well. A lot seem to favour the likes of Sennheiser MD-421's or AKG-D112's for the kick. In my experience the Beyer M88 produces a nice kick sound.
As for frequency, play around between 100 and 125 Hz, this will vary a bit.

Subs: Not sure how many run subs, in all studios I have worked in/been to none ever had subs.

Try this for a starter and see how it works for you.
You will need to get the mvMeter2 plugin - I say MV Meter because I am used to how it works, other VU style meter plugins may work for this as well.
Mute all tracks except for the kick, and have it peaking at -3 dB, then add the bass (should be track 6 I think), and increase the bass until the meter is peaking at 0 dB. Use this as your start point, then add each track from snare up one at a time and get them sitting in the mix nicely how you envision it as you want it. Keep doing this until you have all tracks in. Then start adjusting tracks that are to high/low in the mix. You will ultimately end up altering both the kick and bass - the above just gives you a starting point. Don't worry about adding any effects till you have the mix how you want it, then add effects should you wish.

Have a listen to my mix http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=25536, scroll down to the bottom it is the latest mix. Be very interested to hear your thoughts on it. The first was pretty average Smile
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Thanks for the tips. I took an hour today and tried again from scratch using your advice. It seemed to work great! I was also able to use the monitors this time (no one was asleep) Doing it that way definitely make the kick and piano more audible!

Summary:
- Minor EQ adjustments on most tracks (HPF & Minor adjustments)
- Slight reverb on the piano and guitar tracks
- Compressor on vocals, filtered on 4.5k to slightly reduce sibilance
- Slight reverb on drum mix

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers-ImAlright-Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.12 MB)

AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)