Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bolz & Knecht: Summertime
Any comments appreciated. I mixed this in Cubase, using a Joshua Redman track as reference. I applied some light compression and limiting. In my opinion, the sax ended up sounding quite good but the guitar, just acceptable. Thanks to anyone who listens!

.mp3    Summertime-M.mp3 --  (Download: 6.18 MB)

Made some adjustments to the guitar and I'm really happy with this, happy to call it "done" as a learning experience and move on.

What I changed was, I slapped the Lindell TE-100 eq plugin on the guitar bus -- just running through that plugin seemed to add some girth to the instrument. But I also added a tiny bit of low end (60 hz) and a touch of midrange (1.7k); using complementary eq I subtracted a touch of 1.7k from the sax. I also panned the guitar just slightly further to the left.

All of this gave the guitar just a bit more assertiveness and "bigness" of sound (it was a little wimpy before) and now it gels better with the sax, which I thought already sounded pretty great. The mix feels more balanced and glued together, and just has a bit more head-bobbing energy than before.

.m4a    Summertime2.0-M.m4a --  (Download: 6.17 MB)