Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
CE Mix - I'm Alright
I spent about three days in total on this, would do bits and walk away, come back etc.

Bit of a rundown on what I did:
Kick: Reverb and EQ
Snare: Reverb
Toms: Reverb & automation on the track
Percussion: Reverb
Bass: Compression & Reverb, very light compression
Vocals: All had reverb

Over to you for comments...

.mp3    CMT = ANGELS IN AMPLIFIERS - I\'M ALRIGHT Mixdown 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Hi Cranky,

Doing bits and walking away is pretty much the only way I get to mix these days. At least your ears are reset each time you sit down.

Listening to your mix, you may have lost me in all the reverb. Balances sound good and the reverb on the drums I'm ok with, but the remainder of the accompaniment is getting too pushed back and becoming lost. I feel this applies to the vocal also, which I think would be better represented being pushed more forward in the mix.
If you are up for it, I would like to hear a much dryer version of this mix.

Great name by the way.Big Grin

Dave
Sure up to try anything, you only ever advance by trying different things.
I just had another quick listen to it again, and I can see what you are getting at. I might do:

1. Mix without rev on bass, percussion and harm vox
2. Mix without rev on bass and harm vox
3. Mix without rev on bass and all vox

I thought the vocal were pretty high in the mix? This could be the difference between what we are listening on, different monitors (and rooms) will sound different. What may sound terrific in my studio-of-sorts may not sound so good in someone else's and vice-versa. Which is why it is good to have a forum such as this, to get other peoples thoughts and ideas. Not all of us have (or can afford) high-end studio's - but most of us would probably love to have it Smile

Ear Fatigue: Yep understand that completely, letting the audio receptors reset. It was purely my fault, working on a mix that was giving me some grief. Ended up re-mixing the whole thing on headphones first, then moved to the monitors to finish off (still not finished!) but made the mistake of listening to loud for to long, due to my current setup I am pretty close to the monitors, hope to fix this in the future and move back a few more feet.

On this subject, what do you use as a DAW? Currently I am using Audition. I don't do any commercial work, with the exception of the odd solo artist once in a blue moon, quite simply my setup is more aimed at post-production (read: post-recording), than actually recording. Just do not have the room for recording of anything more than a solo or duo. I am seriously thinking of moving to Pro Tools, but it is a big chunk of money for something which is for all intents a hobby and non-paying. Adobe still have not got on top of the issue with it crashing on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
(31-12-2018, 04:28 PM)Cranky Emu Wrote: Sure up to try anything, you only ever advance by trying different things.
I just had another quick listen to it again, and I can see what you are getting at. I might do:

1. Mix without rev on bass, percussion and harm vox
2. Mix without rev on bass and harm vox
3. Mix without rev on bass and all vox

I thought the vocal were pretty high in the mix? This could be the difference between what we are listening on, different monitors (and rooms) will sound different. What may sound terrific in my studio-of-sorts may not sound so good in someone else's and vice-versa. Which is why it is good to have a forum such as this, to get other peoples thoughts and ideas. Not all of us have (or can afford) high-end studio's - but most of us would probably love to have it Smile

Just experiment, and run with what works for you. Last night I listened to your mix with headphones on and this morning I revisited it with my monitors. For me, I think the issue is with the length of the reverbs and some of the build up and resonances in the tails. I think the guitars and vocal are the biggest culprits. Even if you try and eq the returns to clean up these frequencies first perhaps.

Quote:Ear Fatigue: Yep understand that completely, letting the audio receptors reset. It was purely my fault, working on a mix that was giving me some grief. Ended up re-mixing the whole thing on headphones first, then moved to the monitors to finish off (still not finished!) but made the mistake of listening to loud for to long, due to my current setup I am pretty close to the monitors, hope to fix this in the future and move back a few more feet.
[quote]
On this subject, what do you use as a DAW? Currently I am using Audition. I don't do any commercial work, with the exception of the odd solo artist once in a blue moon, quite simply my setup is more aimed at post-production (read: post-recording), than actually recording. Just do not have the room for recording of anything more than a solo or duo. I am seriously thinking of moving to Pro Tools, but it is a big chunk of money for something which is for all intents a hobby and non-paying. Adobe still have not got on top of the issue with it crashing on a regular basis.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it.

I think any DAW is ok, once you have become familiar with all of it's trickery. I myself use REAPER. It's cheap, stable and powerful and you can customize pretty much anything to suit yourself. I only mix and occasionally record music just for fun, so it's hard for me to justify throwing too much money at it. Good monitoring for me is the most important thing to try and work towards.

I think I read somewhere you don't like to reference, but I think you're letting yourself down somewhat. Referencing is a powerful tool if for nothing else than to just check for basic balance. Instrument and tonal balances, dynamics and perceived space comparisons. So helpful in helping you find your own thing.

Cheers
(31-12-2018, 10:55 PM)Dangerous Wrote: For me, I think the issue is with the length of the reverbs and some of the build up and resonances in the tails.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing to, just to big and long. Unfortunately I think I might be getting a cold or something, my ears are still clogged (that earful of water feeling), so until that clears up I won't be doing any mixing - but I will get back to it, can't stop myself Confused

Quote:I think the guitars and vocal are the biggest culprits. Even if you try and eq the returns to clean up these frequencies first perhaps.

I did not add any rev to the guitars, I think taking the rev off the bass might help things a lot, give it a shot and see what happens, be interesting to listen to the different mixes with different things removed.

Quote:I myself use REAPER. It's cheap, stable and powerful and you can customize pretty much anything to suit yourself. I only mix and occasionally record music just for fun, so it's hard for me to justify throwing too much money at it.

Pretty much my bucket here to, just for fun. Sure I'd love to be working in a studio full-time - but I am just doing this for fun as you are.

As you say, cost is a big factor. I have downloaded Reaper and will give it a try out. I am surely tired of Audition crashing every second edit/change I make.

I've nearly downloaded all the songs from the site Smile

Quote:Good monitoring for me is the most important thing to try and work towards.

Could not agree more. I have the Alesis Elevate 6's. Maybe not the best monitor going, but the best I could afford at the time. I don't have the room for 8" monitors, which I would have liked, but it wasn't to be.

Quote:I think I read somewhere you don't like to reference, but I think you're letting yourself down somewhat.

Maybe I wrote it wrong...
Yes I never listen to a reference mix before I do a mix myself. After I am happy with my mix, then I will listen to a reference or other mixes of the song.

The sole reason I do not listen to a reference mix first up is that I don't want to consciously or sub-consciously emulate what is in the reference mix.

Maybe this is a hang-over from my live days, with bands incessant that they 'sound like' the record/cd what-have-you. My favourite response to such requests was 'If you want to sound like them, play like them". Big Grin
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
(31-12-2018, 10:55 PM)Dangerous Wrote: I myself use REAPER. It's cheap, stable and powerful and you can customize pretty much anything to suit yourself.

♫ Well hang me out to dry ♫
I downloaded Reaper the other night and just installed it today. One thing that really excites me about any program (or any piece of electronics) is being able to use it off bat without having to spend hours sifting through manuals to do the simplest of tasks.

Maybe having experience with DAW's and audio software/hardware helps a bit, but I am sure almost anyone could pick this up pretty damn fast.

Bye bye AuditionCrashBox...

► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
Okay here is my completed and updated mix of 'I'm Alright'.
Take a listen all and give me your thoughts and comments.

Good, Bad, Indifferent I can cope Smile

.mp3    (CMT) ANGELS IN AMPLIFIERS - I\'M ALRIGHT.mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
I think the 2nd mix sounds great! If anything I think I'd like to hear a tiny bit more of the acoustic guitar (track 9).
AMD 3.8GHz, 32GB RAM, 2x 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD's, 1TB HDD
M-Audio FastTrack C-400 Interface
Yamaha HS50M Monitors
PreSonus Studio One (Artist Version)
(05-01-2019, 10:51 PM)mmm Wrote: I think the 2nd mix sounds great!
Thanks.

Quote:If anything I think I'd like to hear a tiny bit more of the acoustic guitar (track 9).
It does get a bit lost once the piano comes in. I know I EQ'd one of the guitar tracks, can't recall which right now. I will open the Ungrim Reaper later and take a beak. Thanks for the heads up.
I might need to lay off mixing for a day or so, burned my ears out big time last night on a 'Stairway To Heaven' thing I am working on and a cover of Rockin in the free world. More sleep and more working on sound effects is what's needed, playing mix-master is all well and fine, it don't put money in my pocket though.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...