Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Living In The City - First Mix
Hey, guys. I'm trying to improve my Mixing skills, so I'm trying this out. This is my first submission and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

.mp3    LivinInTheCity_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Hi there! All sounding a bit muffled to me, particularly the lead vocal. Try clearing out the mud from that to get it sounding crisper and brighter (cut some low mids, and a gentle HF boost), then build the rest of the mix around that. Drums sound a bit distant - maybe make more use of the bottom snare and kick out mics to give it all a bit more punch.
The balance feels pretty good, but yeah, muffled or muddy. I have the same trouble. Are you using a reference track? That will help you dial in some eq.
overall, i think the backing balances are pretty good. The vox is a bit of a problem....not quite sitting right....which is maybe why the level is down in the mix....if you push it any harder it will sound worse. Maybe add some slap-back delay to give it some size plus some eq shaping (kill low end resonance around 200hz with a notch/dynamic eq and add some 10KHz air with high shelf) would help it sit better in the mix.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar