Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bolz & Knecht: 'Summertime'
Let's see if this works. I kept things pretty simple with this one. Bit panning, bit compression, bit of eq, bit of reverb. Tried not to overdo it

.mp3    BolzAndKnecht_Summertime_Full.mp3 --  (Download: 6.35 MB)

A few immediate observations...you edited out the extraneous noise at the end of the guitar tracks, but there's still a bit of noise before the guitar begins at the start. (A lot of the mixes in this thread don't do any such editing actually)

A bigger issue is balance. Musically speaking, the saxophone is the featured player on this track; the guitar is there for rhythmic and harmonic support. So the saxophone should really be more prominent. But in your mix it's actually getting buried by the guitar. I think the guitar needs to come down several db, the sax raised several db.

And one other comment, about the guitar. I think in the mix of the three guitar tracks, your DI fader is too high. It's the least natural sounding of the three, so I would tend to bring it WAY down, then raise up until it's barely apparent. Of course there's no rule you have to use it at all, but you can use the DI track as a sort of transient shaping tool if nothing else.
Hey, thank you. I'll check some things out tomorrow. I guess start doing things without a real plan might be the cause of some wrong decisions. Mixing is a hobby for me, and I think that's the reason for not thinking too much about it, and more like playing around. Stuff to think about Smile