Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright
Hope you enjoy. Please offer any tips.

.mp3    im-alright.mp3 --  (Download: 4.82 MB)

Hey there,

the overall freqency balance works for me, the volume balance of the instruments does not. It seems like you tried to push everything to the front, your mix lacks some depth.
In contrast the drums seem to be too weak for me, bring them up and/or make sure you dont kill them with loudness processing!
I like how you integreted the percussion.
One thing that bothers me are the low-frequencies of the acoustic guitar, which pull the stereo spectrum to the right in an unpleasent way. (On headphones)
Overall the mix could be a bit more wet, but thats mostly a taste thing.

I think with a few tweaks, you would end up with a very solid mix.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(29-12-2018, 03:43 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey there,

the overall freqency balance works for me, the volume balance of the instruments does not. It seems like you tried to push everything to the front, your mix lacks some depth.
In contrast the drums seem to be too weak for me, bring them up and/or make sure you dont kill them with loudness processing!
I like how you integreted the percussion.
One thing that bothers me are the low-frequencies of the acoustic guitar, which pull the stereo spectrum to the right in an unpleasent way. (On headphones)
Overall the mix could be a bit more wet, but thats mostly a taste thing.

I think with a few tweaks, you would end up with a very solid mix.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

thank you so much for the reply and the critique. I will change it up a bit. I noticed I pushed the accoustic too far right as well.
I made a few changes. Let me know what you think.

.mp3    im-alright2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.82 MB)

(30-12-2018, 09:43 AM)jayoverhol Wrote: I made a few changes. Let me know what you think.

I liked your first mix, with this mix the kick (at least on headphones) really hurts my ears. As I said in a previous post, giving the ears a rest today, so I will listen again on the main monitors tomorrow, or maybe even later tonight.

I will also upload my mix, so you can let me know what you think as well.

► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60
Ok thanks.
Jayo;

What are you using to mix on, in terms of monitoring (speakers/headphones)?
It still sounds like there is clipping across the mix, the hats/crash/splash are a bit on the high side.
What eq'ing or processing did you do on the kick?
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60