Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better' mixed in Presonus Studio One
Very nice chill out song! Thanks to Hannes Keseberg for sharing the multitracks.

The song has a reggae feel and I hope I did justice to it.

Got the Slate Everything bundle recently and used some of the plug-ins instead of the usual ones from Studio One. Took much more time as there are so many variables to tweek.

Please have a listen and give me your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter.mp3 --  (Download: 8.47 MB)

.mp3    HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter_02.mp3 --  (Download: 8.37 MB)

Presonus Studio One v4
Slate Everything
Audient iD4
Beyerdynamic Dt 990
AE Aego M
EVE 307
Nice mix! I like it a lot. A natural sound that moves along well. You've done a great job with the drum sound also. The only thing for me is afterglow on the vocal reverb may be a bit glassy and bright for my taste, but that's the only real issue I have. Great work!

Dave
I think the lead guitar gets a bit nasally at times and the lead vocal a bit too crispy. Other than that this is nicely presented. Well done.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(28-12-2018, 11:00 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Nice mix! I like it a lot. A natural sound that moves along well. You've done a great job with the drum sound also. The only thing for me is afterglow on the vocal reverb may be a bit glassy and bright for my taste, but that's the only real issue I have. Great work!

Dave

Hi Dave

Thank you for checking out my mix and your comments/suggestions!

I must be too excited with my new plug-ins. Ha..haa... those Slate reverbs are so silky.
Presonus Studio One v4
Slate Everything
Audient iD4
Beyerdynamic Dt 990
AE Aego M
EVE 307
(28-12-2018, 01:37 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: I think the lead guitar gets a bit nasally at times and the lead vocal a bit too crispy. Other than that this is nicely presented. Well done.

Hi Mixinthecloud

Thanks for checking out my mix and sharing your observations. Will work on them in the mix.
Presonus Studio One v4
Slate Everything
Audient iD4
Beyerdynamic Dt 990
AE Aego M
EVE 307
Hi jameswoo -- nice clear-sounding mix, this. A few things to check over, though:
  • The bass guitar is all but missing from the mix. Given that it's musically one of the most interesting parts, and also makes a big impact on the rhythmic groove, I think this is probably a miscalculation.
  • The vocal is quite sibilant, and could do with some de-essing. This sibilance is also splashing around on a bright reverb, which not only emphasises those esses, but also dates the production a bit. I'd shorten and darken that reverb.
  • The guitar in the Intro, Verse 1, Verse 3, and Chorus 2 sounds pretty appropriate, but the guitar in Verse 2 and Chorus 3 sounds extremely thin and brittle by comparison.
  • I like the sounds you've got for the conga and timbale -- not too spiky, with plenty of tone. It sounds like quite a few editing clicks are coming through, especially in the Intro, so it'd be worth cleaning those up.
  • The piano is balanced high enough in the mix that it's becoming a bit too audible to me, given that it's a mechanical-sounding MIDI part.
  • You could balance the mob vocals in the Outro higher, because at the moment the solo vocal sounds a bit too exposed, which undermines the singalong vibe of the outro for me.

Hope those are some good pointers. Thanks for uploading your mix!
Hey Mike! Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. I will definitely look into those points and make the mix better.
Presonus Studio One v4
Slate Everything
Audient iD4
Beyerdynamic Dt 990
AE Aego M
EVE 307
I have made some changes and uploaded the new mix in the first post. Wink

*HannesKeseberg_YouKnowBetter_02.mp3
Presonus Studio One v4
Slate Everything
Audient iD4
Beyerdynamic Dt 990