Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Hannes Keseberg - You Know Better -Post MS Review and Competition Final
(13-01-2019, 01:39 AM)3ee Wrote: very nice mix! Sounds "easy", pleasant to the ear... nice reverb sound too, what did you use for reverb/ambiance?
cons: Bass seems a tiny bit too "radiant" meaning, a bit too upfront or the very low freqs are more upfront. The whistle part at the end there is too loud IMO. Still a good mix though! Smile

Besides a gated reverb on the claps (used sparingly) the ambiance is the room from the recording, which I leaned on heavily and the stock PreSonus Room Reverb. An earlier thread has some of the parameters. I really like this reverb. It is fast and has a lot of subtle adjustments you can make plus tons of room types. Thanks for your input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Good solid mix.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(13-01-2019, 04:12 PM)jeffd42 Wrote: Good solid mix.

Thanks! Wink
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
"Now before I begin, I admit i may ....be heavily biased by my own mix Smile"

Took me almost the whole 1st verse for my brain to acclimatize to the musical eco system in your mix - then click - it just all made sense. Nice Job! Really enjoyed the listening experience. Good luck!

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Certainly one of my favorites. Everything feels natural and supports nicely the relaxed vox.
Rhythn guitars in the sides feel a bit sharp to me, but it may be just the way artist wants them.

(14-01-2019, 04:59 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: "Now before I begin, I admit i may ....be heavily biased by my own mix Smile"

Haha! Tongue

It is tough to listen empirically to other's mixes after you have spent significant time mixing this yourself. I do not envy Mike nor Mixerman the task ahead of them for this contest.

Great comment. Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(14-01-2019, 08:26 AM)Olli H Wrote: Certainly one of my favorites. Everything feels natural and supports nicely the relaxed vox.
Rhythn guitars in the sides feel a bit sharp to me, but it may be just the way artist wants them.

Isn't that always the guessing game we play?

Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(11-01-2019, 12:59 PM)Lethan Wrote: Nice mix! Nice clarity, very well balanced. One thing i would fight for is bass presence or maybe it feels a bit overcompressed (it just a feeling about bass)? Anyway, very good mixing! Cheers

Thanks for your comments. Typically my processing chain on the bass almost always includes the fine Klanghelm MJUC compressor (the free. version). However, and much out of character for me, this mix uses no compression on the bass, only an API 550B EQ.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Mixinthecloud,

Bass: a bit too loud in the start, but it seems like it sits better in the mix after a while. Perhaps some balancing in the start would be wise.

Kick: Seems like it's masked by the bass. Have you tried to side-chain it to the bass, so it can poke through better, perhaps some 8 kHz too?

Vocal: Your vocal is natural sounding, perhaps you could highpass it slightly to get rid of the proximity effect here and there? Some de-essing would also lift the quality.
However I really like that it's easy to pick out the lyrics in your mix. Good job! That's something I have to work more with my own mix.

Whisling: 2-2.5 dB down probably would suit your mix, it's a little too loud when it enters I think, some rebalancing would probably make it sit better in the mix.

My main feedback is about depth: Everything is very upfront. Could you let a few things get the front stage, some in the middle and some in the back? I think that probably would open up your mix and let it breathe better.

Is there some distortion @ 2:42, the sound in your mix seems a little distorted/clipped, or perhaps the hihat is a little harsh sounding here?

Thanks for sharing your mix!
(14-01-2019, 08:56 PM)dagovitsj Wrote: Hi Mixinthecloud,

Bass: a bit too loud in the start, but it seems like it sits better in the mix after a while. Perhaps some balancing in the start would be wise.

Kick: Seems like it's masked by the bass. Have you tried to side-chain it to the bass, so it can poke through better, perhaps some 8 kHz too?

Vocal: Your vocal is natural sounding, perhaps you could highpass it slightly to get rid of the proximity effect here and there? Some de-essing would also lift the quality.
However I really like that it's easy to pick out the lyrics in your mix. Good job! That's something I have to work more with my own mix.

Whisling: 2-2.5 dB down probably would suit your mix, it's a little too loud when it enters I think, some rebalancing would probably make it sit better in the mix.

My main feedback is about depth: Everything is very upfront. Could you let a few things get the front stage, some in the middle and some in the back? I think that probably would open up your mix and let it breathe better.

Is there some distortion @ 2:42, the sound in your mix seems a little distorted/clipped, or perhaps the hihat is a little harsh sounding here?

Thanks for sharing your mix!

The only thing which worries me about your assessment is the distortion statement. I've listened back on various systems and headphones and I'm not hearing that. I've heard the reference to the whistles from several participants and it may need to be addressed. Thank you for your time and input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]