Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Flames - gloukin mix
My final mix of this year, hope you like it.

.mp3    Flames.mp3 --  (Download: 12.68 MB)

.mp3    Flames v2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.68 MB)

.mp3    Flames v3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.68 MB)

.mp3    Flames v4.mp3 --  (Download: 12.68 MB)

V2 with some slight tweaks. Enjoy.
V3 now posted with slightly different final processing, let me know which one works best.
V3 is niceeee. I like how dynamic the mix is, it feels much more live than what I went for. You did a great job on the drums, super clear and punchy.
Maybe this is personal taste, but I would just tighten up the vocal effects a little. I feel like he could be more in your face/modern sounding.
Overall great mix though, nice one!
(03-01-2019, 04:29 AM)Pasta Wrote: V3 is niceeee. I like how dynamic the mix is, it feels much more live than what I went for. You did a great job on the drums, super clear and punchy.
Maybe this is personal taste, but I would just tighten up the vocal effects a little. I feel like he could be more in your face/modern sounding.
Overall great mix though, nice one!

Thank you for your feedback, I will take a look at the vocal. Would love to hear your take on this song.
Sure, I'll bounce it out and make a post. Although after listening back I realise I've probably used a lot more vocal effects than you, which kind of makes my comment look silly. But, they're different mixes, different story.
What did you do to get your drums sounding so clear like that? I swear whenever I mix rock drums I always settle on this woody punch kind of sound.
I don’t think I have done anything extra special with the drums, let me check when I’m back home.
So on drums I got the following going on:
1. Drum buss (without room tracks) got Waves H-EQ with a high pass at 30Hz, slight boost at 40Hz, removal of around 370Hz and high shelf from 16k and Waves H-Comp for parallel compression at 50% Dry/Wet mix
2. Snare UP got Waves SSL E-Channel with a Snare Drum preset
3. Toms got Waves SSL E-Channel as well
4. Overheads are running through Waves CLA-76
5. 3 room tracks are going to a buss and through Waves API-2500 compressor and are tightly squashed.

That's it really.
After listening to the official iTunes release of this track, which I am not a huge fan of, I revised the master slightly, so V4 is now up.
Thanks for the info on the drums. I noticed a lot of the really good mixes on here get that similar clean sound on the drums so it's cool to know your process for future.
The new version sounds great on my headphones, slightly fuller and brighter. I'll have to give it a proper listen when I'm home.