Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
'My Father Never Loved Me' - m_tree Mix
Hi there,

in this mix I tried mixing without mixbus compression and EQ after several years. I reduced the mixbus compression to my mastering compressor (ratio < 2:1) in a separate step. I wonder at how well it works (after some adjustments in the mix).

I used all of the drum tracks and added no external samples. I only used the miked bass amp track and only four of the guitar solo tracks. Big Grin

Critique is welcome. Smile

.mp3    My Father Never Loved Me - m_tree Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

.mp3    My Father Never Loved Me - m_tree Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

Drummer and mixing engineer from Germany.
Good balance except for the kick IMO. It comes out very punchy in front of the other elements of the mix and it's making everything else pump away when it hits. I like the work you did with the voice, and the tone of the guitars, but it feels like some definition goes away because of the kick hitting the compressor hard.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Thanks! New version with corrected kick drum uploaded (+ toms 1dB lower and some fine tuning of the fader riding of the drum bus).
Drummer and mixing engineer from Germany.
That worked wonders for the mix Smile
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.