Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
bUCKLEY moNkEd REMIX
A 2 minute clip from an initial draft which explores some ideas I had, partly in an effort to deal with the significant instrumental spectral density of this 60 track song (OMG!), as well as chase down some creative ideas and moves for the hell of it.

Stock cubase 5.5.3 x64 plugins on a new, clean 8700T win10 build and it's not happy (major upgrade from x86 win7). An interesting experience, nevertheless, because ordinarily I could dial in parameters on a silenced machine, and be pretty close to my imagined outcome on resuming play. But this really put the cat amongst the mice so am looking forward to reuniting with my fav plugs!

.m4a    bUCKLEY moNkEd REMIX.m4a --  (Download: 6.24 MB)

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
Interesting experimental concept.. It would make a good remix track.
(11-12-2018, 08:38 PM)Shul Wrote: Interesting experimental concept.. It would make a good remix track.

I dunno. There's nothing here that makes my foot tap, nor my head nod, and it's not just a taste thing becasue I have a really, REALLY diverse listening habit. I think if a remix is going to work, it needs to have additional content that brings a vibe and energy and I've not done that, simply worked with what was already there. The drums would be a good starting point perhaps, bringing some more push and shove.

But thanks for taking a listen and giving it some of your time. Fully appreciated, Shul.

"Nearly half of all teenagers and young adults (12-35 years old) in middle- and high-income countries are exposed to unsafe levels of sound from the use of personal  audio  devices": https://tinyurl.com/6xeeahc5 Read my bio.
While I was working on this mix I felt this song would work in some kind of dubstep-ish remix.

Nice stuff you did here, Monk. Some interesting ideas on the voice, especially.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(14-12-2018, 07:06 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: While I was working on this mix I felt this song would work in some kind of dubstep-ish remix.

Nice stuff you did here, Monk. Some interesting ideas on the voice, especially.

Thanks for taking a listen and sharing your thoughts, Octo'. I particularly like your idea of an 'ish, that could work well Big Grin

I was a bit challenged with what to do with the vocal. It's quite edgy, no doubt some of that is attributed to the added distortion in the post recorded vox mods. I thought it could do with some smoothing, which I've since had a go at in the full mix. All good fun.

Will take a listen to yours in due course Wink

Totally revised mix. Fresh vision, but with some of the concepts pulled from the invaluable remix experience.

Only giving feedback to those who give it. I'm not interested in bleeding my life away for takers who can't share and are here purely for selfish reasons. If you give it, and I miss the post, PM me!

Respect.

.mp3    buckley- FullMonk s26.mp3 --  (Download: 7.69 MB)

I think the fx on the vox are too prominent; the phaser or flanger. I like to parallel my fx (reverb and delay) so that I get a crisp dry signal over the fx, and can dial in the amount of fx that I want. Reid Stefan has a good video online where he goes into detail with that. Similar to running an aux bus. I think the bass is a bit loud also.

There was a clean guitar part in the first track you did that I liked. Did you sample that from the original audio or did you play that over with guitar?
(30-12-2018, 03:48 PM)asarnelle Wrote: I think the fx on the vox are too prominent; the phaser or flanger.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but there was nothing ordinary about the vocal's pitch. Rather than spend endless hours trying to fix it in the mix, and failing because of the artifacts, I thought I'd modulate the daylights out of it instead, in an effort to disguise the initial problem. As they say, if there's something broken, either break it some more, or delete it. So I chose breakage. Big Grin

Quote: I think the bass is a bit loud also.

What made you think this?

Quote:There was a clean guitar part in the first track you did that I liked. Did you sample that from the original audio or did you play that over with guitar?

Can't remember what I did, if anything. But I can say it was originally in the multi and not sampled or overdubbed.

Thanks for listening. Sorry for the delay, but I only just noticed it. Blush

Just had a quick listen to yours and it sounds to me like you have a monitoring issue, as others have also noted. Hope this helps.