Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Drag Me Down (BCS Mix)
Damn this song is riserecords-worthy! Mixing this song made me feel like Joey Sturgis, lol. Anyway, the track is very well produced and performed (except maybe the vox should have be tuned more carefully). Most of the mixing & mastering is done just in a couple of hours, but I spent a few more on editing and quite a lot of automation. Total about 5-6 hours. Easy to say that this is one of my best works! Give it a listen and tell me if you think so or not, and if you've got some suggestion, please also tell me!

EDIT [1 Feb 2019]
Drag Me Down (BCS Mix 6) : Did quite a lot of cleaning and tweaks as suggested.

.m4a    Drag Me Down (BCS Mix 2).m4a --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

.m4a    Drag Me Down (BCS Mix 6).m4a --  (Download: 7.65 MB)

Sounding awesome!!

Really reminds me of Asking Alexandria.. I don't really know how you got that voice and that rhythm guitar to sound so awesome in the chorus! One thing that I would change is the snare. I don't particularly like the sound for what you got.. but hey it's completely subjective.

I'm gonna take some inspiration off your reverb work man. I hope you don't mind Big Grin
Great mix!
(11-12-2018, 05:37 AM)Shul Wrote: Sounding awesome!!

Really reminds me of Asking Alexandria.. I don't really know how you got that voice and that rhythm guitar to sound so awesome in the chorus! One thing that I would change is the snare. I don't particularly like the sound for what you got.. but hey it's completely subjective.

I'm gonna take some inspiration off your reverb work man. I hope you don't mind Big Grin
Great mix!
Well that's what I exactly meant about this mix making feel like I'm Joey Sturgis lol! (I'm sure you know him, but just in case he mixed the first 3 AA records iirc.) The main trick for the chorus was to add fast echo with quite high feedback (ie 1/8 with 60% feedback) to blend the vocal without making it too over the top since the wet signal of the vocal is in time with the music and is very close to the dry signal so it isn't very noticable but still creates a nice long tail that glues the phrases together. As for the rhythm guitar I really didn't do much. Just EQ and Compression, not even a reverb or delay. But I also did quite some editing to make the stops tighter. For the snare, I guess it really is the matter of taste. My snare suits my kit's tone and yours suit your kit as well. That's what matters imo.
Thanks for the kind words! Glad and proud that I have inspired you. I really love your a lot of your mixes (you post a lot lol Big Grin) Cheers!
Also, one thing that I thought wasn't important, but ended up being very huge part of the mix is the SFX. Notice how I compress the living hell out of those drops at the start of the choruses. Instead of a long, subby bass SFX I have a stong transient that is gonna allow to chorus to start with an powerful, energetic kick. Little details like these are what usually ends up driving the "cookie cutter post-hardcore sound". As I mentioned in the original post, I ended up doing these editing&automations for longer than I did balancing, mixing, and mastering COMBINED!
Cool cool I got the tips. Never done that in vocals but I should try it. You always learn new things with every song. Yeah I can hear that kick on the face in the chorus that's why I liked your mix. It's very tight and agresive

Thanks I try to post as much as I can lol...

Great mix!

Seriously, I don't get what you guys are listening with. This mix doesn't really sound that awesome, in fact it's really muddy and crowded. Don't give feedbacks if you don't know what you are talking about.
(29-01-2019, 02:30 PM)Zen Wrote:

Great mix!

Seriously, I don't get what you guys are listening with. This mix doesn't really sound that awesome, in fact it's really muddy and crowded. Don't give feedbacks if you don't know what you are talking about.
Okay that's interesting...
I mix on an HD600. In hindsight, I can see the mix is a little bit dark and reverby, but that's just style preference, and it changes all the time. I intended the song to feel "cold" and dark. Technically speaking, I really don't think it's that muddy, just the bass is maybe too loud. I'm not sure what you mean by crowded, though.

Also, I'd rather take feedback from someone with plenty of generally praised work on the site than someone with none at all. No offence.

Really looking forward to your more in-depth feedback, though. I still think this song should be one of my best work so maybe you could help make it so?
(31-01-2019, 03:43 PM)bcs_mix Wrote:
(29-01-2019, 02:30 PM)Zen Wrote:

Great mix!

Okay that's interesting...
I mix on an HD600. In hindsight, I can see the mix is a little bit dark and reverby, but that's just style preference, and it changes all the time. I intended the song to feel "cold" and dark. Technically speaking, I really don't think it's that muddy, just the bass is maybe too loud. I'm not sure what you mean by crowded, though.

Also, I'd rather take feedback from someone with plenty of generally praised work on the site than someone with none at all. No offence.

Really looking forward to your more in-depth feedback, though. I still think this song should be one of my best work so maybe you could help make it so?

Here is where it's muddy and boomy. Check around 150Hz. There a resonating peak that gives that sense of boomyness in the chorus and where there is bass playing.
Also at 300Hz there are some weird resonances. What I would do: high pass at 30Hz the bass, reduce bass 150Hz by about 3-5db. Also The snare has a boomy resonance at about 300Hz. Overall, kick and snare are not punchy enough and need to be slightly louder. In the intro, when the acapella starts, if you notice there is still some guitar playing: to help the mix come through better, you can use volume automation to slowly reduce the volume of guitars, so when the acapella starts it has enough space to be heard well. Also, some acapella layers have too much rumble. Try to high pass them from about 180-200Hz. Also, slightly before the first chorus there is some clipping caused by the drums: be mindful of this stuff because it's important before mastering. In the electronic break the electronic drums can't be heard, they are too quiet. Also, to help vocals come through during choruses, it can help a lot to use multiband sidechaining. Finally, don't use too many effects on vocals and reduce ambient of drums (the reverbered layer).
Thanks! Your analysis helped a lot. I did quite a lot of cleaning. Hope it's better now.

BTW The start of the chorus didn't clip. It was an intended SFX. It is actually way below -0db. It's just supposed to sound like that, and I quite like it.

Also, I always (kinda) master my mix. Long story, but that's just how my workflow is.

.m4a    Drag Me Down (BCS Mix 6).m4a --  (Download: 7.65 MB)