Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outer!
Hi all,
here's my humble mix of this fantastic song!

Cheers!
Raphaël.

.mp3    outer.mp3 --  (Download: 7.35 MB)

Hi Rapha! Some really good things on this mix. You nailed (with some reservations) the harder parts, though the more trippy sections feel a little problematic to me:

- All thru the first part of the tune, drums and bass sound great, big and deep. Guitar feels somehow a little restrained, though. It should and could use much more space (some reverb or slap delay panned to the right?). That tambourine could share some of that same reverb.
That vocal distortion is not particully appealing, thou. And it's squashing it so much that it pollutes all the silences between verses, which sounds phoney.

- From 1:25 to 2:44, everything feels too cooked for me. HH is a real hogspace, bass too loud/fat/saturated and vocal again feels broken. The "as I lay to rest" verses should be spacey and atmospheric, so you can breath a little before things get intense back. You know, the calm before the storm...

- From 2:44 to the end, everything sounds great again! Lushy OH's, well placed kickdrum and intense but shiny guitar. Distortion on the last round of vocals is less of an issue since there are no silences.

Everything, no need to say, IMHO. I'm not an expert by any means.

Hi Deliza,
thanks for your feedback!

All you said makes sense to me. I targeted the heavier parts and then - I confess - got lazy on automations, which explains why the dreamy part is not that dreamy.

I will try to do a revision soon!

Cheers,
Raphaël.

(08-12-2018, 12:13 AM)Deliza Wrote: Hi Rapha! Some really good things on this mix. You nailed (with some reservations) the harder parts, though the more trippy sections feel a little problematic to me:

- All thru the first part of the tune, drums and bass sound great, big and deep. Guitar feels somehow a little restrained, though. It should and could use much more space (some reverb or slap delay panned to the right?). That tambourine could share some of that same reverb.
That vocal distortion is not particully appealing, thou. And it's squashing it so much that it pollutes all the silences between verses, which sounds phoney.

- From 1:25 to 2:44, everything feels too cooked for me. HH is a real hogspace, bass too loud/fat/saturated and vocal again feels broken. The "as I lay to rest" verses should be spacey and atmospheric, so you can breath a little before things get intense back. You know, the calm before the storm...

- From 2:44 to the end, everything sounds great again! Lushy OH's, well placed kickdrum and intense but shiny guitar. Distortion on the last round of vocals is less of an issue since there are no silences.

Everything, no need to say, IMHO. I'm not an expert by any means.