Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
You Know Better - gloukin mix
(06-02-2019, 09:28 AM)glukin Wrote: Updated with v4. Tried to spice things up a bit with some loops.

Very nice mix! Clear and transparent, I like this one.
Good job!
PreSonus Studio One DAW, PreSonus Studio 24c, Yamaha MSP 5
(07-02-2019, 07:18 PM)Highway Child Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 09:28 AM)glukin Wrote: Updated with v4. Tried to spice things up a bit with some loops.

Very nice mix! Clear and transparent, I like this one.
Good job!

Thank you! Shame I’m not a patron and don’t participate in the contest Wink
Hi Glukin! Very sensible balance on the whole, with decent clarity and tasteful effects usage too. Some more specific points:
  • The vocal balancing is fairly solid most of the time, but the inherent tonal variations in the raw recording do make the level a bit too variable at times, especially during the choruses, where certain syllables really leap forward, while others get lost.
  • The overall mix tonality seems a little fierce in the 6-9kHz range, which makes both the hi-hat timbre and vocal sibilance a bit wearing on the ear. Even with that region pulled back a bit, though, I think you might still want a little de-essing as well.
  • The additional snare ghost notes are quite a nice way of differentiating the second verse, but they feel a bit more laid back groove-wise than the kit itself, so they don't really 'glue in' with it properly for me. As a result, they make the groove drag a bit, and sound too much like an artificial addition. The way the ghost notes track overlaps the gap after the Mid-section seems to undermine the drama of that moment in the original arrangement too.
  • The Hammond feels a bit understated, which means that you lose some of the section differentiation between the verse and chorus textures.
  • While I like the general sense of blend and depth you've achieved with the effects, they do seem a bit static, which again reduces the sense of arrival when we hit the choruses and follow on into the Reintro and Outro sections.

Thanks for sharing your vision -- I reckon this might have made my top twenty had it not just fallen on the wrong side of the submission deadline, so well done on that! Smile
Thank you for the feedback, Mike. I’m especially pleased since I’ve been mixing on the train with Bluetooth earbudsWink. I will look out for the 6-9khz range going forward, I’ve noticed it being a problem in other mixes as well.