Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
"Carousel Ride" 12/6/18 mix
Very neat tune. Had a lot of fun figuring out the ins and outs of these tracks and how best to utilize them.

Feedback appreciated.

.mp3    \"Carousel Ride\" 12:6:18.mp3 --  (Download: 9.75 MB)

I liked this delicate approach! Trombone and guitar sound surprisingly clean, I can hear things in the guitar I didn't know were there. That stereo trick between verses and choruses was a neat idea! The part from 1:13 to the first chorus is heavenly, though vocal might need a good push for the choruses (louder and brighter), because once you make guitar and tom bigger and wider, your verse vocal balance do not apply anymore.

Though I don't think it works (or even make sense) to get back to the mono balance around 2:12, since that part is kinda the same than 1:13, same arpeggio and all. I mean, not that it's breaking the mix or something, but it's a trick I don't think works twice for this tune.

Also, that trumpet might do better panned to the left where there is plenty of empty space, IMHO.
I like the warm guitar tone that is balanced nicely by the lilting trumpet and the 'bone is authoritative without being dominating....good job on the horns.

I think that the vox needs a push/ride...probably both.

overall the basis of a good mix.....pushing the vox could really elevate your efforts so far.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar