Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First mix...I'm Alright
So.... I'm not a studio engineer. However, I have been a live sound engineer for nearly 30 years. I get asked to do studio stuff occasionally. And, I have done a couple live albums. But it's a rare thing to get me in a studio. I'm trying to get my chops up on some of the current recording technology. Stumbled on these tracks and thought I'd give it a go. Opinions and recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

.mp3    I\'m Alright.mp3 --  (Download: 4.11 MB)

I can tell by the amount of verb you are using that you mix live. Dry everything out a bit and cut the highs a bit on the kick. Snare has a nice pop.
Hey there,

welcome to the forum.

I dont have any experience out there in the "real world" but have mixed and posted here regularly for almost 2 years now.

I think the mix you got there sounds very much has a live sound to it. Its easy to tell that you have lots of experience as the balance and dynamics are all there. For a studio style mix however, there is too much reverb going. The drums and lead electric guitar seem very distant and the room reverb on the vocals isn't flattering either.
Regarding the vocals, I honestly cant think of a good reason why they are not panned center? Kick, Snare, Bass and Vocals are always dead center for me, unless there is a very good reason not to do that.

Anyway overall great mix still!

Cheers,
LukasAngel
Welcome fellow live engineer, we are greatly out-numbered here I think!
You are doing the same as I did/do - good ol' reverb. I am finding what works live does not always work so well in a studio domain.

Apart from that, as Simon Cowell once said to Connie 'I love it!'.
► C. Emu ◄
The Box of goodies...
♪ DAW: Reaper / Ocenaudio ♫ Audio Interface: Focusrite 2i2
♯ Monitors: Alesis Elevate 6 / Focusrite Scarlett HP-60