Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hannes Keseberg: 'You Know Better-Patreon Mix
Hi KMuzic! Given that I featured your previous mix in the podcast, I probably shouldn't go into too much depth this time, for fear of accusations of favoritism! However, I can confirm that the balance between the bass and kick and the low end feels much better now, and the guitar off-beat tone feels more appropriate. The hi-hat is almost non-existent in the balance, which I initially thought to be a mistake, but there is something to recommend that approach, because it does then give the lead vocal more room to sparkle. I do think, though, that the mix still lacks a sense of 'air' to it, because it's only really the lead vocal that's tickling the upper spectral octaves much. Try muting the vocal and listening to the high-frequency tonality of the backing.

It also still feels like there's too much going on in general in the 100-300Hz zone, especially from the bass. Perhaps trade in some 200Hz for 1kHz, so the bass cuts through more in the true midrange. The low-end of the vocal is also part of the problem here, as it's still not very consistent in this respect. I'd get some multiband compression or region-specific EQ to work on it. Finally, a couple of smaller niggles: the conga edits are distractingly audible for me, so you should smooth those out if you're going to mix it like that; and the Verse 1 guitar solo sound feels rather stark and upfront -- I'd take a little high end off, at least, and then automate the fader in a little more detail to catch the accents from poking out too much.

Hope that helps -- and good luck with the contest!
Thanks Mike, great information, I understand everything you mentioned. The only thing I don't understand are the Conga edits, as I didn't cut that track up at all, just volume automation. Maybe I missed a crossfade on one of the other tracks, Ill check that again.

Thanks again Mike

KirkSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(23-01-2019, 03:00 AM)KMuzic Wrote: The only thing I don't understand are the Conga edits, as I didn't cut that track up at all, just volume automation.

It's not edits you did; it's edits that are already in the raw track. Of all their many talents, the band's strength wasn't really their editing... Wink

(23-01-2019, 07:10 AM)Mike Senior Wrote:
(23-01-2019, 03:00 AM)KMuzic Wrote: The only thing I don't understand are the Conga edits, as I didn't cut that track up at all, just volume automation.

It's not edits you did; it's edits that are already in the raw track. Of all their many talents, the band's strength wasn't really their editing... Wink

Ahhhhh. ok, got it.
Thanks Mike
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.