Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nova-One Studio - Four Graham [Mix and Master by AJ]
Hi Alex, thanks for your answers!
When you mixed it, it was before TH-U was included in Slate, right? So you used S-Gear on DI guitars or sth. else?
I love how "earthy" the guitars are.

I imported your mix in my session as a reference track, trying to match what I like and to develop my own approach on parts I feel a bit different about. Which is fun!!

Right now I´m too busy to finish my mix, but I´ll let you know Smile
Ah that's great Silvan, I hope my mix can help you to shape yours!

If memory serves me well I don't think I used the DI tracks... but yes would've been before TH-U was added to the Slate All Access Pass.

Please send me your mix in this thread when you are finished!

Cheers,
Alex
Still not happy with the snare, but I just can´t find a sample or a blend to fit in the song. I guess I´ll pull the trigger on the next black friday sale and get the CLA or Blackbird expansion. Even if i know that someone with the right skillset could totally work with the snares trigger2 provides, I just can´t...

This is a headphone mix, but I´ll check on speakers soon and I´m sure there will be revisions - but I´m already quite satisfied with the sound, at least on 770s.

I´m curious about your thoughts Smile

EDIT: Just checked my Mix1 on KH120s - it didnt translate well as I assumed.

Mix2 uses another snare sample blend and is less heavy in the upper midrange. It also sounds better on headphones, but I wasnt able to headphone mix like this right away...

.mp3    190730_FourGraham_Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

.mp3    190804_FourGraham_Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.3 MB)

Nice work! My only comment would be that the drums don't sound forward enough for the genre. Also, the transient of the snare is kinda weak, trying using a slower attack on your compressor. Take a listen to a band called State Champs, they've got a very similar sound and you'll hear the drums are really aggressive and in your face.

Maybe all you need is some parallel compression and to play with the attack/release - but otherwise nice work!

Thanks,
Alex