Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting back into mixing after a long break. Please rate and/or criticise
I've taken a long break from mixing since leaving education to work in live sound. Just getting back into studio mixing and would love to hear peoples thoughts about my take on "What is this thing called love?" by the Jesper Buhl Trio.

Thanks, Patrick

.mp3    Mix Practice - Jesper Buhl Trio Bounce .mp3 --  (Download: 14.28 MB)

Hi and welcome back,

I'm not very familiar with jazz recordings. I'd say that ride is missing a bit of definition, sexiness and sparkle, sounds a little too raw. Probably there's too much room in that drum kit. The piano seems to have some resonances in the mids that are dragging it down so to speak. It doesn't soar as it should.

Probably there's an excess of roominess in the piano as well. I understand you had to fill up the gaps somehow, but I think the room is getting in the way of the instruments, maybe some resonances or too much mids.

I hope you can make use of the feedback.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(25-11-2018, 05:41 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: Hi and welcome back,

I'm not very familiar with jazz recordings. I'd say that ride is missing a bit of definition, sexiness and sparkle, sounds a little too raw. Probably there's too much room in that drum kit. The piano seems to have some resonances in the mids that are dragging it down so to speak. It doesn't soar as it should.

Probably there's an excess of roominess in the piano as well. I understand you had to fill up the gaps somehow, but I think the room is getting in the way of the instruments, maybe some resonances or too much mids.

I hope you can make use of the feedback.

Thanks for your feedback!
On reflection I can hear what you mean about the room getting in the way. I might try and clean the piano up a bit more and then add a bit of sparkle on top. I do wonder if there's some way I can bring out the sustain of the piano a bit more...

It's a difficult one (for me as a rather rubbish amateur mixer haha) because of the bleed between the various tracks.

I'll get to work and post an updated mix when I can!
(but not today...tired ears haha)
Sounds like a pretty minimal mix which is fine especially for jazz. The snare sounds good; the original recordings of the snare were pretty rough!

The kick and upright are a bit low on bass in the originals, but I think you could have helped it out.

I like the balance. The original has the bass pretty quiet, but you got the bass and piano in good proportions.