Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyndsey Ollard: 'Catching Up
My Mix

Comments Welcome

Cheers

KSmile

Version 03.mpg

Ripped it down, cleaned and very little processing, no master. tried to just get something balanced and easy to listen to. Took some of the suggestions offered. Vocals are volume automated and de'essed , still not happy with them.

Cheers
KSmile

.mp3    LyndseOllard-Catching up-02.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

.mp3    LyndseOllard-Catching up-03.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
This mix has a lot of things going for it. I can't point anything questionable about the usual. Tone and balance are on point. I love how big the low end is. The song flows nicely from the first part to the second with the whole drumkit.

I just don't agree with how the instruments are placed. At least the verse's hard panning, it seems that there's a lot of space in between them, taking away the intimacy and coziness that, IMO, the song should instill on the listener. I would start small and then, when the drums come in and the intensity goes up a notch, spread them, make it bigger without resorting to a loudness bump.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(25-11-2018, 12:46 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: This mix has a lot of things going for it. I can't point anything questionable about the usual. Tone and balance are on point. I love how big the low end is. The song flows nicely from the first part to the second with the whole drumkit.

I just don't agree with how the instruments are placed. At least the verse's hard panning, it seems that there's a lot of space in between them, taking away the intimacy and coziness that, IMO, the song should instill on the listener. I would start small and then, when the drums come in and the intensity goes up a notch, spread them, make it bigger without resorting to a loudness bump.

Hey Octo
Good to hear from you, great Idea, Ill give that a shot on the next version

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I'm checking out this song. It's very well recorded, but it's really annoying when the producer gives you all the tracks so you have to do the arrangement and vocal comping. No wonder you started panning guitars around! Big Grin

I really hate to get my hands into the arrangement, but I'm afraid there's no other way here.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

(25-11-2018, 07:37 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote: I'm checking out this song. It's very well recorded, but it's really annoying when the producer gives you all the tracks so you have to do the arrangement and vocal comping. No wonder you started panning guitars around! Big Grin

I really hate to get my hands into the arrangement, but I'm afraid there's no other way here.

Go for it!!, looking forward to hearing your slant on it.
Cheers
KSmile
When the louder drums come in, the hi-hat is too loud for me.
Also the bass gets a bit to much after a while, escpecially in the louder part.
Vocals are nice but could be more controlled.

Overall, nice smooth mix Smile

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(26-11-2018, 02:41 PM)LukasL Wrote: When the louder drums come in, the hi-hat is too loud for me.
Also the bass gets a bit to much after a while, escpecially in the louder part.
Vocals are nice but could be more controlled.

Overall, nice smooth mix Smile

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Hey Lucas
Thanks for checking it out, I didn't use the hi hat track, so must be bleed from one of the others, Ill find it and smooth it out. I de'essed the vocal, but forgot to volume automate and your right a few parts get bumpy.
Cheers
KSmile
The low end feels a bit contrived to me. I also think you could get better control of the vocals. To get them to sit against the very rich and deep ensemble you need that compression or better automation or both. Just a few tweaks away from a stellar mix.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(26-11-2018, 05:04 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: The low end feels a bit contrived to me. I also think you could get better control of the vocals. To get them to sit against the very rich and deep ensemble you need that compression or better automation or both. Just a few tweaks away from a stellar mix.

Thanks for the comments
I see what you mean. Ive been working on this song and cleaning the low end, the bass needed to be thinned a bit. The vocals are driving me nuts. I compressed, tried different compressors, volume automation, etc. just cant get them to sit right. Ill re-post when I feel I have them close.
Cheers
KSmile
Hey K,

Try not to over think it too much. For the verses, I really like what I hear as far as the vocal sounds. It's soft and intimate and for me, works beautifully. In saying that, you may want to mult out the vocal parts so you can process the louder sections with a little more aggression. Generally I find the louder chorus parts of the song sounding somewhat busy and ungrounded. Not really sure what it is though. I think a stronger mono-ed snare would be beneficial in helping here as well as focusing on the strength of the rhythm parts within. I can't offer much more help unfortunately Kirk, but I'm sure you'll work it out.

Dave