Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea Of Leaves [OctoOnFire]
Here's my mix for this song. I went for a raw-ish, energetic mix.

Quote:UPDATE (Fastest revision ever)

I'm using sonarworks and sometimes it feels as if the results you get in the DAW don't reflect in "real life". Listening here, I felt a bit of clutter in the mids. Filtered out just a couple DB. Please check both versions and let me know what you think

I was trying a new "analog setup" using Airwindows plugins. Every instrument goes to a bus where all the channels are laid down and summed into a buss, which goes into a channel and gets summed once again in the mix buss. Effects are applied either before the channel or after the group buss. I followed the instructions in the Beat Druid wiki.

Here's a capture to illustrate it: Check out the Drums: They go to the drum buss, and each insert in this buss is a "Console 5 Channel" plugin, receiving from 1-2, next from 3-4, next from 5-6 and so on. They're properly labelled. Then, the Console5Buss plugin sums them all up, and feeds the "Console5Channel". The group channel then goes to the track named "2 buss", along with the bass, guitars, etc, and from here it feeds the actual Mix bus and, in parallel, the "Mix2" track. Any plugins inserted in the Drum Buss group should go between the "Console5Buss" and "Console5Channel", never between a channel and a buss plugin, since this could create some side effects.

[Image: Captura.png]
william wordsworth lucy poems analysis

Alternatively, if you look at the Bas Buss, you'll see that the inserts are not properly labelled, but they have generic names (Track1, Track2...). They are instances of Console5Channel as well. Track 1 is receiving the Bass DI through channels 1-2, and Track 2 is receiving the Bass Amp through channels 3-4.

As you see, the snare is beefed up with a triggered sample, the kick is left alone, and the plugins used are mostly AW, Soundtoys, Boz Little clipper and TR5, other than Reacomp and Reaeq.

Anyway, the important stuff is how it sounds. Any comments about the setup and the sound will be really appreciated.

Being my first experience with this kind of setup (so I hope everything is working as intended), I felt it was easier to work on the tracks. There is a notable glue and analog feeling from the start, and the elements seem to blend together nicely. It really softens up the high frequencies in a very pleasing, natural way, and that only is enough reason to use it on every mix. It reminded me to the couple experiences I had with Harrison Mixbus. Thanks to Reaper's automated actions and FX chains, it's a breeze to set up.

Quote:UPDATE V1.1

In order to make the voice bigger and more upfront, I added a parallel track with distortion and heavy compression.

.mp3    JokersJacksKings_OoF_V1m-002.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

.mp3    JokersJacksKings_OoF_V1m-003.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

.mp3    JokersJacksKings_OoF_V1.1m.mp3 --  (Download: 7.4 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Just listening on headphones late at night - sounds cool! I'll check it out on the studio speakers tomorrow morning.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks, please let me know what do you think about the low mids (around 100 - 300Hz) on both versions, since it's the area where Sonarworks is working the most. There is no replacement for a good room, but until I get one, I need to rely on references and feedback.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

They both sound pretty good. Maybe a little too full around the 250hz mark, but that might be a bit of a taste difference too. On speakers the vocals are perhaps a little low in the mix.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases