Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WOODFIRE
It's recorded so well but i'm so lost mixing this.
Please tell me what you think.
Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDt1QURuyfA

.mp3    Get fooled 4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.67 MB)

Mmm... funny, I'd say the Youtube version sounds slightly different than the one in the thread, like that infamous YT compression is doing something that helps parts glue better. It appears to be darker, too. Cannot say I like one more than the other.

Keeping the guitar monoish makes sense from an arrangement perspective (it's a overdubbed recording, ain't it? If the band wanted a double panned guitars feeling they'd have double tracked it, right?) and it's laudable being so hard to resist the urge to hard pan those 2 tracks. It helps to keep an urgent, bootleg feeling; but also makes for a very fuzzy and muffled atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that (kinda Smashing Pumpkins' "Machina II") but then maybe vocal should not be so clean, it kinda belongs to a different, more polished mix.

Great kick/snare combo, with a kick that's manly without being toxic and a well shaped snare that's controlled and yet commanding. Overall, it's a nasty and grungey mix (in a good way).

(15-01-2019, 07:11 PM)Deliza Wrote: Mmm... funny, I'd say the Youtube version sounds slightly different than the one in the thread, like that infamous YT compression is doing something that helps parts glue better. It appears to be darker, too. Cannot say I like one more than the other.

Keeping the guitar monoish makes sense from an arrangement perspective (it's a overdubbed recording, ain't it? If the band wanted a double panned guitars feeling they'd have double tracked it, right?) and it's laudable being so hard to resist the urge to hard pan those 2 tracks. It helps to keep an urgent, bootleg feeling; but also makes for a very fuzzy and muffled atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that (kinda Smashing Pumpkins' "Machina II") but then maybe vocal should not be so clean, it kinda belongs to a different, more polished mix.

Great kick/snare combo, with a kick that's manly without being toxic and a well shaped snare that's controlled and yet commanding. Overall, it's a nasty and grungey mix (in a good way).

Thanks for the tips.I'm glad you took your time to criticize my mix. I can never decide how to deal with only 1 guitar track in rock songs... Well i am not proud of this mix at all to be honest. At least someone likes it ☺