Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
gEt oUta bEd!!! cOldrOom mIx
Hey man, nice mix! very ceative with the panorama mix..
But i think it lacks quite a bit of mids. guitars, drums, vocals... everything sounds a lot thinner then..

Good luck!

(21-11-2018, 11:26 AM)Fenekucci Wrote: Awesomeness
Great job!
Love the tones, the excitement and the weight

Thanks Fenekucci! Glad the excitement translated.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(21-11-2018, 04:06 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: Nice mix! Great balance.
This is a personal taste but I would probably make it a bit brighter overall. Something like luftikus on the master with a bit of a boost would probably be all that's needed.

I do agree with the others that the snare seems a bit out of place in the mix. Could be a balance or tuning issue, waves torque is always fun to play with.

Hi Axx, thanks for listening and commenting - What is "luftikus", btw?
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(21-11-2018, 04:30 PM)Hessel Visser Wrote: Hey man, nice mix! very ceative with the panorama mix..
But i think it lacks quite a bit of mids. guitars, drums, vocals... everything sounds a lot thinner then..

Good luck!

Hey Hessel, thanks for listening and commenting.
Which specific area of mids are you referring to? - Low-mids? High-Mids? A general idea of the frequency range you're referring to? Thanks.
(21-11-2018, 10:24 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote:
(21-11-2018, 04:06 PM)axxessdenied Wrote: Nice mix! Great balance.
This is a personal taste but I would probably make it a bit brighter overall. Something like luftikus on the master with a bit of a boost would probably be all that's needed.

I do agree with the others that the snare seems a bit out of place in the mix. Could be a balance or tuning issue, waves torque is always fun to play with.

Hi Axx, thanks for listening and commenting - What is "luftikus", btw?

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb
Handy free EQ to have in the arsenal Smile Very similar to the Maag EQ4
Niko
----------------------------
Latest project : Noise Implant
Quote:https://www.kvraudio.com/product/luftikus-by-lkjb
Handy free EQ to have in the arsenal Smile Very similar to the Maag EQ4
Thanks!
(21-11-2018, 10:27 PM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote:
(21-11-2018, 04:30 PM)Hessel Visser Wrote: Hey man, nice mix! very ceative with the panorama mix..

Good luck!

Hey Hessel, thanks for listening and commenting.
Which specific area of mids are you referring to? - Low-mids? High-Mids? A general idea of the frequency range you're referring to? Thanks.

Well, i'm not trying to preach the truth, lol, but as far as i can hear, you kind of over eq'ed the high mids in the 2khz -5khz to make it sound agressive and 'in your face' i guess..
While a lot of sweeter and warmer tones are all below 2khz, but those tones disappear that way
Also in that way all instruments lose their real life character/elements..
To get a vocal, a guitar or a drumkit, or whatever instrument, more big and upfront i would start to eq in the 800 -1000 hz area with a wideband
(i eq alot with the 88rs Neve channel by UAD)

And to get stuf bright and clear you can always boost the 8k-12k area, with for exemple a pultec-ish eq
And then you could always tweak the 2-5k with tini bits, because it's a very sensitive and tricky area..

Or if you like what you're doing now, you could just keep on doing it your way, because it's all just about taste, perspective and experimenting... Smile

Cheers,

(21-11-2018, 11:59 PM)Hessel Visser Wrote: Well, i'm not trying to preach the truth, lol, but as far as i can hear, you kind of over eq'ed the high mids in the 2khz -5khz to make it sound agressive and 'in your face' i guess..
While a lot of sweeter and warmer tones are all below 2khz, but those tones disappear that way
To get a vocal, a guitar or a drumkit, or whatever instrument, more big and upfront i would start to eq in the 800 -1000 hz area with a wideband

And to get stuf bright and clear you can always boost the 8k-12k area, with for exemple a pultec-ish eq
And then you could always tweak the 2-5k with tini bits, because it's a very sensitive and tricky area..

Or if you like what you're doing now, you could just keep on doing it your way, because it's all just about taste, perspective and experimenting... Smile

Thanks for explaining what you meant. It's interesting to get your perspective, as I've never really experienced anyone pointing out an issue with that specific area of high mids in my mixes.

Your comments concerned me, so I auditioned my mix, comparing it to some commercial references across a number of different speaker systems (car, stereo, small computer speakers, phone speaker, ipad speaker).

To be honest, I was very happy with the way it translated. My mix didn't sound thin or harsh in comparison to the reference material. I even compared it to your mix, but didn't really hear a marked difference that I would have expected to hear in light of your comments.

I'm not saying your perspective isn't valid... I guess we just must hear things differently.

Thanks for your input!
(22-11-2018, 07:27 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote:
(21-11-2018, 11:59 PM)Hessel Visser Wrote: Well, i'm not trying to preach the truth, lol, but as far as i can hear, you kind of over eq'ed the high mids in the 2khz -5khz to make it sound agressive and 'in your face' i guess..

Thanks for explaining what you meant. It's interesting to get your perspective, as I've never really experienced anyone pointing out an issue with that specific area of high mids in my mixes.

Your comments concerned me, so I auditioned my mix, comparing it to some commercial references across a number of different speaker systems (car, stereo, small computer speakers, phone speaker, ipad speaker).

To be honest, I was very happy with the way it translated. My mix didn't sound thin or harsh in comparison to the reference material. I even compared it to your mix, but didn't really hear a marked difference that I would have expected to hear in light of your comments.

I'm not saying your perspective isn't valid... I guess we just must hear things differently.

Thanks for your input!

Hey man, i'm sorry you got concerned about my last post and i guess i was a little too dramatic about something very small..
But as a fresh listener to someone elses mix, (yours in this case) i hear certain thing and it disappears the more i listen..(so my ear is getting used to it)
But if your mix was a stage, your snare would be in the spotlights because of it's soundquality and loudness..
I've been doing some research about you and i think you are a very talented mixer, but what i mean is just about this song..
I guess it's the same issue as some other guys here on this topic have mentioned..

Cheers,
(22-11-2018, 12:29 PM)Hessel Visser Wrote: Hey man, i'm sorry you got concerned about my last post and i guess i was a little too dramatic about something very small..
But as a fresh listener to someone elses mix, (yours in this case) i hear certain thing and it disappears the more i listen..(so my ear is getting used to it)
But if your mix was a stage, your snare would be in the spotlights because of it's soundquality and loudness..

No worries - I'm always looking for areas to improve - that's why I try to get to the bottom of issues people might be hearing, even if they are relatively minor. Thanks again.