Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Roses- Reaper mix
I have been using this resourse ever since buying Mr Seniors book. I work in the studio of a local music school and decided to use this track to help the students get better results with ther own recordings and mixes.

I set the mix up in various stages of development for them to see and this is my final version of the mix.

It was all done in Reaper, using only four of Reapers plugins, eq, comp, reverb and delay plus the free Samplicity M7 impulse responses.

I am very much still a student of this dark art myself, so any criticisms are more than welcome.

Thank you

Simon Smile

.mp3    Andrew Cole- Dead Roses.mp3 --  (Download: 4.86 MB)

Hi Simon
Lovely sounding mix !
Just one thing that catches my ear is the female vocal at 2.03 sounds a little thin and soft !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for your kind reply. You are right, in order to blend the two voices I made the female voice wispy, almost like the males breaths. There is no automation in this mix at all, that is deliberate as I don't want to go too far with my students just yet but when the time comes I will automate the eq's and thicken up her voice for the solo section.

Thanks again

Simon
(10-09-2013, 02:08 PM)simonblarkin Wrote: I have been using this resourse ever since buying Mr Seniors book. I work in the studio of a local music school and decided to use this track to help the students get better results with ther own recordings and mixes.

I set the mix up in various stages of development for them to see and this is my final version of the mix.

It was all done in Reaper, using only four of Reapers plugins, eq, comp, reverb and delay plus the free Samplicity M7 impulse responses.

I am very much still a student of this dark art myself, so any criticisms are more than welcome.

Thank you

Simon Smile

Hi Simon

Have to agree with "thedon" regarding the female vocals. But if it's still something you're going to work on, I'll wait for the "FINAL" mix to comment on it.
One more thing, the kick drum sounds a bit "thumpy". Not that it's bad, but just my taste/opinion.

Balance of the mix is great. Very soothing. Like it a lot.
Great work.

Please give my mix a listen.
Would really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Gerrit
A song is never finished... Only abandoned. So sing if you've got nothing left to say.