Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Adam Buckley: 'Drag Me Down'
My take on it

Comments are always welcome and appreciated

Cheers

KSmile

Version 03.mpg.

Worked on the vocals, Octo suggested trying a melodyne effect, I don't have melodyne so had to figure out how to pitch shift it in Cubase to get the effect I think he was mentioning and also didn't want to over use it, just in a few places. A little distortion, some more compression and automation.

Cheers
K

.mp3    AdamBuckley_DragMeDown-02.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    AdamBuckley_DragMeDown-03.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Really clean mix.
that moment when they tell you "I listened to it from my iphone speakers"
(08-11-2018, 05:20 AM)brokenstarsfl Wrote: Really clean mix.

Thanks BS
I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Kirk - Really loving the instrumental sound of your mix. In that respect, I think it beats the preview mix by a good margin, particularly the punch and clarity in your mix's low end.

Where I think it needs some work is in the vocals. There are a number of spots where the vocal drops in level eg: 27 secs, "an angel"; around 34 secs "save me" 40 secs "devil's" 52-53 secs "tonight"; 58 secs-1min (can't make out the words there); 1:06 "feel a.." 1:10-1:12 etc. Overall it seems a little uneven and is getting lost under the music in some spots... Perhaps a little more automation/dynamic control?
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(08-11-2018, 10:18 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Kirk - Really loving the instrumental sound of your mix. In that respect, I think it beats the preview mix by a good margin, particularly the punch and clarity in your mix's low end.

Where I think it needs some work is in the vocals. There are a number of spots where the vocal drops in level eg: 27 secs, "an angel"; around 34 secs "save me" 40 secs "devil's" 52-53 secs "tonight"; 58 secs-1min (can't make out the words there); 1:06 "feel a.." 1:10-1:12 etc. Overall it seems a little uneven and is getting lost under the music in some spots... Perhaps a little more automation/dynamic control?

Thanks FF, Ill work on the vocal automation, see if I can get it evened out .
Thanks for the help, always appreciated
Cheers
KSmile

hi! sounds good. as user fhumble fhingaz pointed out, there are some moments where the need for tweaking becomes obvious. but from what ive listened we rarely go to that level of detail with the mixes here. at least i dont. so the next step would be starting to fix stuff with edits/automation based on the producer/band feedback, but the overall mix sounds solid. ^_^
Quote:we rarely go to that level of detail with the mixes here

Why not? Isn't that what mixing is all about? Huh
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(08-11-2018, 11:47 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Why not? Isn't that what mixing is all about? Huh

well, i can only speak for myself, but i try to get my own mixes somewhat 'together' very fast, to keep the craft in backbone. doing the things i 'always' do, and trying out some stuff ive picked up here at the forum. when i notice im tweaking some compressor threshold, or something like that, to miniscule detail for 15 min without noticeably changing anything, i try to remind myself this would probably need to be taken care off my editing/automation. for instance if everything else sounds right on kick track, but the 3rd kick hit on 2nd chorus 'farts' or ducks compressor too much etc. but i usually go there after the producer/band has given me the green light on overall sound. edits/automations are much more tedious to roll back, if the overall/static sound of mix or the 'greative ideas' are nuked completely. ^_^
(08-11-2018, 11:04 AM)kapu Wrote: hi! sounds good. as user fhumble fhingaz pointed out, there are some moments where the need for tweaking becomes obvious. but from what ive listened we rarely go to that level of detail with the mixes here. at least i dont. so the next step would be starting to fix stuff with edits/automation based on the producer/band feedback, but the overall mix sounds solid. ^_^

Hey Kapu
Thanks for checking it out, these tracks were definitely a pleasure to work with.

Cheers
K
Hi Kirk nice low end,the bass is a little "twangy" in places but that,s just a preference thing,well done.
Reaper user