Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magician's Nephew - Get Out Of Bed [OctoOnFire]
I went for loud and obnoxious, had a lot of fun mixing this band.
Maybe I overdid it a bit, but I felt like the song needed it Smile

Let me know what you think! Big Grin

Quote:Version 2:
I went back to the mix in order to tame the distortion and check out the low end. I ended up changing plenty of things down there. I started by carving a little space in the bass around 75Hz, but when I went to the kick, I started checking the phase with the 2 sets of overheads and recovered most of the kick's low end around that same area. Also, there was a cardboardish kick sound coming from the overheads.
Anyway, because of all this I had to rebalance the other elements. There's also the change of tone after "deharshing" the voice and drums a little, and bringing some punch back to the snare.
In the end, it sounds quite different to me, more contained and defined, the mid range seems to come forward in a pleasant way. When comparing, I kind of miss that extra oomph from the lower mids in version 1 that seemed to give it some extra depth. I feel that v2 is technically better, but I still like some things of the first one.

Oh and btw I removed that UGLY distortion from the guitars. I was feeding 14dB into a saturator when it should have been 4dB *facepalm*

Quote:v3 Update:

Now with Snare!!
(and a little less harsh)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.64 MB)

.mp3    MagiciansNephew_GetOutOfBed_OctoOnFire_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Hey Octo
Loving the vocal treatment, sounds cool..
took a few bars to get used to the big sloppy(in a good way) snare sound, but it fits the mix really well.
Nice job bringing the lead guitar into the mix around 2:14 ..smooth!
Awesome job!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(02-11-2018, 11:18 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Hey Octo
Loving the vocal treatment, sounds cool..
took a few bars to get used to the big sloppy(in a good way) snare sound, but it fits the mix really well.
Nice job bringing the lead guitar into the mix around 2:14 ..smooth!
Awesome job!!
Cheers
KSmile

Thanks for the comments!

I also love how the voice turned out. It's really aggressive and in your face, but it never feels overwhelming, it has its own space and depth.

Yeah, I wanted to make the snare prominent and with a lot of tail. The Kick+Snare track is distorted as hell, like... seriously distorted!!

The solo was very challenging. There's a guitar part leading to it and also a Hammond eating up a lot of space. I spent a lot of time blending these 3 things together in a cohesive way.

Funnily enough, listening to this mix the day after, I really like it!! (usually it's the opposite). Also, for this one I totally ditched all Slate channels and compressors and used Airwindows. I'm already getting used to them and the role each one plays, and they really pay off.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.

Ive been using channel6, butter and drumslam quite a bit .. love em . thanks for the suggestion to check them out!!
Cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
(03-11-2018, 12:13 PM)KMuzic Wrote: Ive been using channel6, butter and drumslam quite a bit .. love em . thanks for the suggestion to check them out!!
Cheers
K

Always try using Pop in aggressive vocals. That's my takeaway from this mix. It behaves similar to the Devil-loc from Soundtoys.

Hi Octopus:

I feel the aggressiveness of your mix. I think the track is a little bit distorted. Maybe if you reduce your levels entering the last stages It will sound warmer and still aggressive. Overall good energy here. Take care
(03-11-2018, 03:59 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hi Octopus:

I feel the aggressiveness of your mix. I think the track is a little bit distorted. Maybe if you reduce your levels entering the last stages It will sound warmer and still aggressive. Overall good energy here. Take care

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, the Drive knobs are all the way up to 11, I'll go back to the mix and see if I can find a way to dial them down without altering too much the tone of the song.

Hi OOF, I think I get the attitude you're going for here, and it's a cool approach for this type of track...

I think the issue overall might be that there is a bit too much of a buildup of energy in the 5-6k region. To my ears, this is making the mix sound harsh and a little fatiguing. I think it may be partially caused by the generous use of saturation and distortion on the drums and vocals. One suggestion that may help is to low pass some of the distorted elements so that the upper harmonics of the mix can remain a little cleaner, whilst still maintaining the aggressive attitude in the midrange.

Another thing I'm hearing in the drums is the loss of transient impact. Even in commercial mixes that have a lot of obvious compression/distortion on the drums, I notice that the transient "punch" remains intact. However, in this mix the vital energy those transients contain is being lost by the compression/saturation. Sometimes maintaining a sense of transient attack requires some parallel processing - that might be worth investigating since you're exporing the potential of this type of sonic approach.

You have a generous amount of low end in the mix, which I like a lot. However, it comes across a little on the boomy side. You may want to try controlling the bass a bit more in that critical 80hz region, as that will tighten the low end up quite a bit.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(03-11-2018, 05:01 PM)OctopusOnFire Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 03:59 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: Hi Octopus:

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, the Drive knobs are all the way up to 11, I'll go back to the mix and see if I can find a way to dial them down without altering too much the tone of the song.

Try this... set a distortion device you like in a parallel bus and eq that signal with a low pass at 6kHZ and a High pass at 450Hz. With that set up you can blend the distortion softer and will thick everything you use it on. It will affect the middle freqs without distorting the low end or the high end, which you will like to have clean and punchy. Try it and let me know if it made it for you. Take care
(04-11-2018, 01:45 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hi OOF, I think I get the attitude you're going for here, and it's a cool approach for this type of track...

I think the issue overall might be that there is a bit too much of a buildup of energy in the 5-6k region. To my ears, this is making the mix sound harsh and a little fatiguing. I think it may be partially caused by the generous use of saturation and distortion on the drums and vocals. One suggestion that may help is to low pass some of the distorted elements so that the upper harmonics of the mix can remain a little cleaner, whilst still maintaining the aggressive attitude in the midrange.

Another thing I'm hearing in the drums is the loss of transient impact. Even in commercial mixes that have a lot of obvious compression/distortion on the drums, I notice that the transient "punch" remains intact. However, in this mix the vital energy those transients contain is being lost by the compression/saturation. Sometimes maintaining a sense of transient attack requires some parallel processing - that might be worth investigating since you're exporing the potential of this type of sonic approach.

You have a generous amount of low end in the mix, which I like a lot. However, it comes across a little on the boomy side. You may want to try controlling the bass a bit more in that critical 80hz region, as that will tighten the low end up quite a bit.

This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, thanks!

I'll check back the session. It's kind of a mess because I was trying a whole new suite of plugins, so I don't know to what point I have stuff on parallel and inserted in the chain. I know I have a combination of both, at least in the vocals. I'll see what I can do without messing up the tone and energy of the mix.

And thanks again, please do not hesitate critiquing my mixes and don't pull any punches! Big Grin