Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore mix
After listening to the EP on Itunes, my mix is no match.... tried to focus more on the drums (Eddie Kramer plug) and bury the nasty guitar a bit. I used vocal rider to help keep the vocal above and just a touch of compression on it. I'm not happy with it but here it is.

.mp3    Shore.mp3 --  (Download: 8.58 MB)

Tone is in the ear of the beholder....
Hey Mongo, I'd be interested to hear more about which parts of your mix you're unhappy with...

Levels-wise, you seem to have a pretty good balance between the vocals and the instruments. The low end also seems fairly controlled and not too subby or muddy.

The drums might need some work - the hihat is overly prominent to my ears, and a bit on the harsh side.

The lead vocal has a "honky" resonance in the midrange that seem to be magnified by the type of ambience you have chosen. Perhaps try finding that resonance by soloing the reverb and maybe eq'ing it out via the "sweep and destroy" method.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(29-10-2018, 10:56 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Mongo, I'd be interested to hear more about which parts of your mix you're unhappy with...

Levels-wise, you seem to have a pretty good balance between the vocals and the instruments. The low end also seems fairly controlled and not too subby or muddy.

The drums might need some work - the hihat is overly prominent to my ears, and a bit on the harsh side.

The lead vocal has a "honky" resonance in the midrange that seem to be magnified by the type of ambience you have chosen. Perhaps try finding that resonance by soloing the reverb and maybe eq'ing it out via the "sweep and destroy" method.

I used the Abbey Road mastering chain on it, by turning down the presence knob eliminated alot of the cymbal so it should be easier on the ears.... The vocal has been pitch corrected (didn't take much) I did fail to eq afterwards. My sweep did uncover a few spots...but usually I don't sweep as I put too much faith in pitch correction. My disappointment stems from hearing the Rickey Wascher mix on Utube and not even being in the ballpark... well, mixing is an expression after all and it's nice to have so many variations Smile Cheers!

.mp3    Shore-rm.mp3 --  (Download: 12.2 MB)

Tone is in the ear of the beholder....
Definitely and improvement - the top end sounds much less brittle now and the vocal sounds better.

Quote:The vocal has been pitch corrected (didn't take much) I did fail to eq afterwards. My sweep did uncover a few spots...but usually I don't sweep as I put too much faith in pitch correction.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but I don't really see the connection between equalising out rogue frequencies and pitch correction. In my experience, pitch correction doesn't help with the actual tonal quality of a vocal, only tuning...

Actually, I'm kind of wondering why you corrected the vocal as the pitching was pretty spot on to my ear - Listening to the tightness of the harmonies, I suspect it may have already had some tuning...

One other thing I noticed was that the snare drum appears to be pulling across to the right channel - I suspect that may be an unbalance in the overheads and/or the room mic. I'm not sure if you intended it to be that way, but I found it a little distracting.

In any case, nice improvement!

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases