Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Neve Inspired Mix
I always was very impressed with Neil Finn (Crowded House)
His work always has a very cohesive glued sound, warm and punchy.
It's very tempting these days with digital to keep all that top end clarity, but i really wanted to understand that NEVE desk sound and this mix was an experiment in getting that classic sound in a DAW (S14), I'm pleased with the result ( I think)

I felt this song would work sounding less modern. Good production and arrangement I thought. Really nice work! Well done, and good to see the song arranged on youtube,

As much I liked what I had done I felt the master compression wasn't right, I tried a new method (parallel compression) and also sent all channels to bus's....vox, guitar, bass, drums etc.. I'm using the PreSonus ctc-1 pro console shaper set to Neve, no drive, just colouring the mix, I feel the result is glued and has musical energy, very pleased with this mix,

.mp3    Why dont you stay (16bit master).mp3 --  (Download: 12.18 MB)

Hi Aaron

Really Enjoyable listen. Sounds like you achieved your goal
Job well done!!

Cheers
K
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Sounds modern, clear and in your face but not bloated or overhyped, me likes!

In the verses, the snare might do with a little less snap, though it's hardly an issue thru the choruses, with the extra guitars and backing vocals.
Dropping the middle eight guitar is a nice out-of-the-box choice, though personally I'd like a drier solo guitar, a little louder.

Really good mix, serves the tune well.