Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Semantics Mix and Master!
Hi everyone!

So I had a go at mixing this song and I found it really fun, there are still a lot of rough parts here and there but I just thought screw it and wanted to upload it. This track really took my interest as it reminded me a lot of the band CKY for some reason yet I also felt that it had a lot more heavy metal elements in it as well.

For the master I also used both my Warm Audio 76 & WA2A outboard compressors.

Like I said it's pretty rough but after a couple of hours working I just wanted to be done with it.

Feel free to check out my website and facebook page as well for all of the other stuff that I've worked on as well!
Cheers!

https://soundcloud.com/r_follett
https://www.facebook.com/toothandclawproductions/
www.toothandclawproductions.co.uk

.mp3    Semantics.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

Hi DerikTheDoDo,

I love your mix it's really punchy!

It might be a genre thing but I think the drums are a tad too compressed to my taste (maybe the reverb on the snare also could fade a bit faster so that it stops before the next snare hit (not sure that's perfect english sorry)), it feels just a bit robotic and as the drummer is not SUPER tight, it makes it just a tiny bit on the edge when there are drum fills for instance. I feel like if the plan is to have super tight heavy drums that are robotic-like, I would quantize the shit out of them so that it's beat perfect. A bit like the new metal bands using triggers etc.

OR maybe I would differentiate between verse and chorus, with the chorus more compressed and the verse a bit more "live" maybe less kick snare and more room natural reverb and then punch back into the processed drums. Your drums sound absolutely awesome at the end of the song, the heavy bit.

What the f... do I know ahah.

I like the intro, it makes the first chorus pop like crazy!

When I did the mix of this song (I'll post it in a bit) I played a bit with panning, in your mix, it feels like it's a bit stuck in the middle, especially during the chorus, there's a lot of fun stuff that can be done panning the vocals and guitar for instance. The wow factor sometimes comes from tiny details like a quick guitar part that's panned hard left or right etc.

I'm being picky btw ahah it sounds good overall.

Hope that's helpful,
Quentin