Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor Tapes: 'Shore'
Haven't mixed anything in about a month, been on an injury time out, good to be back
Cool tune, lots of different possibilities. tried a few edits here and there.

Comments always welcome!!

Cheers
KSmile

Ver 05.mpg
Thinned out the kick as suggested by ff and took some of the sub off the bass, removed the saturation from Master bus and re-Eq'ed.

Thanks
KSmile

Version 06.mpg

Took all the suggestions, found the pumping in my master bus compressor I was using, so leveled that out. Brought some of the top end down on both the drums and instruments. worked on the bass and snare relationship more to get more punch and balance. Dropped the bottom snare track way down and re-eq'ed the top snare. Shaped the Bass some more cutting some 300 out of it. Dropped down the limiting on the drum group. Sounds better to me, let me know what you think guys.
Thanks
KSmile

Version 07.mpg
Ok, I think this is the final mix. Cleaned up the rhythm guitars which were giving off some nasty resonance. high passed and cut at 680. cut the bass around 68 and cut back more on the master bus leveling compression. Cut down the vibrato on the fill guitar. Checked it on the analyzer , looks and sounds cleaner to meHuh
Thanks
KSmile

Version 08.mpg

Reworked bass to share the load with the kick some more as suggested.
Cheers
K

.mp3    Motor Tapes\'s \'Shore-04.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

.mp3    Motor Tapes\'s \'Shore-05.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

.mp3    Motor Tapes\'s \'Shore-06.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

.mp3    Motor Tapes\'s \'Shore-07.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

.mp3    Motor Tapes\'s \'Shore-08.mp3 --  (Download: 8.5 MB)

Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Hey Kirk, I really like how you brought the vocals right up out front of the mix - they sound great. I also like the midrange & top end balances. The snare sound is quite cool - it's not something I would have automatically gone for, but I think it works in this context - It sounds like you used quite a bit of bottom snare in the mix - a kind of fat, relaxed low-impact snare sound - nice.

The low end of the mix is problematic however. You have a lot of sub bass happening and it seems to be distorting the master buss limiter and/or compressors/saturation. The culprit seems to be the kick drum, which has a tonne of energy from 30-70hz, and it just seems to be eating the low end whole. It kind of effects the whole groove of the song too - it seems to make it slower sounding and a bit "ploddy". I'd suggest working to slim down the kick and getting it to groove better with the bass. That should help clear up the distortion too.

All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(23-10-2018, 10:40 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hey Kirk, I really like how you brought the vocals right up out front of the mix - they sound great. I also like the midrange & top end balances. The snare sound is quite cool - it's not something I would have automatically gone for, but I think it works in this context - It sounds like you used quite a bit of bottom snare in the mix - a kind of fat, relaxed low-impact snare sound - nice.

The low end of the mix is problematic however. You have a lot of sub bass happening and it seems to be distorting the master buss limiter and/or compressors/saturation. The culprit seems to be the kick drum, which has a tonne of energy from 30-70hz, and it just seems to be eating the low end whole. It kind of effects the whole groove of the song too - it seems to make it slower sounding and a bit "ploddy". I'd suggest working to slim down the kick and getting it to groove better with the bass. That should help clear up the distortion too.

Hey fHumble fHingaz

Thanks ff for having a listen, your right, I put a lot of sub on the kick and bass Guitar . Ill clean the kick up and see how that goes. I really like how your mix grooved and Id like to get this one going like that.
Thanks ff

Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
New Mix up
Cleaned up the Kick and bass, dropped the saturation off the Master Bus.

Thanks
K
Nice kirk... Vocals sound great and love that panning effect on the guitar. Having a listen on my phone now and at Over 3 quarters volume im getting quite a bit of distortion... Maybe a limiting issue??? Anyway good to have you back
(23-10-2018, 07:09 PM)Spandexcore Wrote: Nice kirk... Vocals sound great and love that panning effect on the guitar. Having a listen on my phone now and at Over 3 quarters volume im getting quite a bit of distortion... Maybe a limiting issue??? Anyway good to have you back

Hey Spandexcore
Thanks man, good to be back.. Ill check that out on my phone and adjust it, I might have limited it too much.
Thanks for the listen
Oh yeah man, that's much more balanced now. You might even be able to back down the top end of the drums a tad, now that the low end isn't as dominant. I can still hear a little pumping in the mix, but it's not really as much of an issue now. There is a little distortion in the high end, which would probably benefit from some attention. Cool!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(24-10-2018, 09:32 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Oh yeah man, that's much more balanced now. You might even be able to back down the top end of the drums a tad, now that the low end isn't as dominant. I can still hear a little pumping in the mix, but it's not really as much of an issue now. There is a little distortion in the high end, which would probably benefit from some attention. Cool!

Thanks ff , yeah there is something still too hot in there causing some distortion, Ill have to go through my groups and find it.
Cheers
KSmile
New Mix up. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Learned a lot so far on this one.

Let me know what you think
Cheers
KSmile
(24-10-2018, 12:43 PM)KMuzic Wrote: New Mix up. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, Learned a lot so far on this one.

Let me know what you think
Cheers
KSmile

Ah yes - much nicer!