Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETC - Drum & Bass dynamic question
Hello,
I'm still a beginner in mixing and have found this great site where people can discuss and compare mixes from this ingenious and free multitrack library.

I love punk and garage music. That's why I'm trying to mix (The Complainiacs 'Etc').
After the download of the tracks I realized that they are very rough recorded. The overheads are ultimately mono even if they have 2 channels.
However, most of the problems I had in trying to make the mix transparent, spatial and soft dynamic.

On the drums I routed two buses with differently adjusted compressors. the same with the two quite rough bass tracks. On the kick and snare, I raised the transients slightly to make them more understandable without spending too much energy. Nevertheless, the drum track is still bumpy. Does anyone know good tricks to make the drums softer and more transparent without destroying the rough punk caracter. I can not use track presets like for example "pro logic" offers. My DAW is Harrisson MIXBUS 4 under Linux. I only have simple plugins available. My available plugins, tracks and busses comes without example or special presets for respective tracks.

So, I am very happy about every tip and / or trick.
lg
wolke
[Image: 98v33lykenLiW2w9T3pWb_DY_jveq_xcg3l9iPTI...90-h591-no]

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    ETC_r1_session.mp3 --  (Download: 3.18 MB)

(19-10-2018, 01:16 AM)wolke Wrote: Hello,
I'm still a beginner in mixing and have found this great site where people can discuss and compare mixes from this ingenious and free multitrack library.

I love punk and garage music. That's why I'm trying to mix (The Complainiacs 'Etc').
After the download of the tracks I realized that they are very rough recorded. The overheads are ultimately mono even if they have 2 channels.
However, most of the problems I had in trying to make the mix transparent, spatial and soft dynamic.

On the drums I routed two buses with differently adjusted compressors. the same with the two quite rough bass tracks. On the kick and snare, I raised the transients slightly to make them more understandable without spending too much energy. Nevertheless, the drum track is still bumpy. Does anyone know good tricks to make the drums softer and more transparent without destroying the rough punk caracter. I can not use track presets like for example "pro logic" offers. My DAW is Harrisson MIXBUS 4 under Linux. I only have simple plugins available. My available plugins, tracks and busses comes without example or special presets for respective tracks.

So, I am very happy about every tip and / or trick.
lg
wolke

My remarks:
- too loud bass and vocal.
- Definitely too quietly drums (but do not amplify the cymbals!) - HiHat is mainly heard in your mix, which quickly torments the listener's ears ...). Try NewYork compression on drum track.
- The bass sounds nice (although I would slightly overdrive it).
- Maybe try to give more saturation on the whole mix and slightly widen the stereo image.
Hi Andrzej,

thanks for your feedback.
I already had some parallel compression on the drums and the bass. I have now strengthened the new York compression in the drums again something. In addition, I have some of the high frequencies taken out of the snare track. There is no hihat microphone. the hihat runs with the snare. the overhats were recorded in mono and therefore difficult to handle in the stereo image.
How can I increase the stereo width in the master without creating bad phase shifting effects? chiocho-chiocho Smile.

in the new mix is ​​now:
1. kick, snare + toms louder + more new york compression
2. hihat and cimbals a bit quieter
3. bass and vocals a bit quieter
4. Guitar seems a little louder
5. Increase Mixbus tape saturation

[Image: 2bdYgPP3UVqH1mfJnyZltfgjs_DcPhGqsXEnqlKI...90-h591-no]

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    ETC_post-forum-tip_r4_session.mp3 --  (Download: 2.31 MB)

Cymbals: I would make an intermediate version between 1 and 2. In addition, the accents (Ride and Crash) can be enhanced with the mix automation.
It is worth listening to the final version on many players (boombox, smartphone, car player etc). What is good on studio monitors on ordinary speakers can fade.
The bass is still too loud (IMO).
I recommend mixing with pink noise. There are many guides on YouTube. In case of problems, I help. At the beginning it helped me a lot. After 5-10 mixes with pink noise, I adjust the levels of individual instruments without any problem. Of course, at the end I always check if I did it right.
You can expand your stereo image not just by panorama. Too wide panorama is unnatural and most often poor listening (of course there are exceptions to the rule).
Check if you have in your DAW Stereo Enhancer. Play with him (but as always you can not overdo it - less is always better than too much Smile.
At the end you have to play with mastering. The levels in your mix can be increased by up to 9 dB. Of course, using the right tools Smile.
At the beginning I used ready presets (eg in Ozone). Then I compared the settings of individual effects in presets and how they affect the end result. Over time, I stopped using presets.

Good luck.
hi,

this is my final version Smile.

bass + volcals on top, guitar right and left a little bit behind the centred vocal and bass track.

1. i expanded a little bit the stereo wide of guitar track. this is critical because the phase corolation reaches a just acceptable level.
2. a little bit more hihat

/g
wolke

.mp3    ETC_post-forum-tip_r5_session.mp3 --  (Download: 2.31 MB)