Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea of Leaves - the perfect mix
Hi! I was using Blink-182's First Date as a reference. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

KingTideAudio

.mp3    SEA OF LEAVES_4.mp3 --  (Download: 7.23 MB)

Hi Scott, this mix sounds good - nicely balanced and full. It feels quite organic and yet pretty punchy.

I'm finding the lead vocals slightly murky in low mids. There is a frequency there somewhere around 350-500 that might be cut to get the vocals to shine a little more.

Listening to your reference, the biggest difference I notice is that the ref has pretty smacking drum shell transients compared to your mix. The top end of the ref is also a little more glossy, and the low mids are more tightly controlled and recessed. Definitely in the ballpark, though.

I think the "X" factor in this mix is just capturing the energy contrast between the verses and choruses. There are lots of ways to make that happen, and I think if you could work on that it would take things to the next level.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
(18-10-2018, 02:29 AM)fHumble fHingaz Wrote: Hi Scott, this mix sounds good - nicely balanced and full. It feels quite organic and yet pretty punchy.

I'm finding the lead vocals slightly murky in low mids. There is a frequency there somewhere around 350-500 that might be cut to get the vocals to shine a little more.

Listening to your reference, the biggest difference I notice is that the ref has pretty smacking drum shell transients compared to your mix. The top end of the ref is also a little more glossy, and the low mids are more tightly controlled and recessed. Definitely in the ballpark, though.

I think the "X" factor in this mix is just capturing the energy contrast between the verses and choruses. There are lots of ways to make that happen, and I think if you could work on that it would take things to the next level.

Thanks for this fantastic critique, fHumble. I re-EQ'd the lead vox. I added a sample to the snare (hopefully it doesn't sound too fake). I put a multi-band compressor on the mix buss and set it to compress the low mids. Regarding the x factor, I changed gtr eq for the verses and rode the far mic drum faders.. Still working on the x factor.

.mp3    SEA OF LEAVES_5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.23 MB)

Hey Scott - love it! Nice changes, and the chorus really lifts now. Good stuff!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases