Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
#22 Can't Let You Go - "Major Silky Delicious" Mix
16-10-2018, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2019 07:24 PM by Deliza.)
#22 Can't Let You Go - "Major Silky Delicious" Mix
Damn, that was sexy!

These drums felt a little weird, being no bleed on the kick track? (unless I'm wrong, don’t have the raws anymore). Also, those cymbal hits on the left side were confusing since the ride was on the right. I’ve seen drummers hitting cymbals with the left hand before but it just felt out of place, especially after the big drumfill before the solo. Could this be a E-Drum? it’s getting harder and harder to tell these days. And such a shame the horn parts weren’t real… Still, great song and performance.

Anyway, I’m afraid I laid the wrong foundations with too much of a spacehog Rhodes/drums combo? Vocal on verses might sound both saturated and wimpy at the same time just trying to compensate for the bloated rhythm track. At least I got to make my first flanger drumfill (they’re just like… 30 years out of fashion? but whatever)!

.mp3   22 - Colton Benjamin - Can\'t Let You Go (Deliza).mp3 --  (Download: 8.82 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2018, 12:49 PM
RE: Can't Let You Go - "Major Silky Delicious" Mix
Hey Deliza,

smooth mix!

Cymbals are a bit too much for such a chill track. And the Rhodes is a bit bloated down low.
I think most issues are with the volume balance.
- Rhodes too loud
- Hi-Hats and Cymbals too loud
- Guitar (left side) bit to quiet
- Horns bit to loud

I really like the sound of the drums and the vocal, altough it could have more top end ("open" sound)
Overall the stereo spacing seems a bit biased towards the right side.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

If I have reviewed your mix, I would be very happy to get a review myself.
Also if you want me to review your mix just PM me, I will gladly help!
18-10-2018, 03:34 PM
RE: Can't Let You Go - "Major Silky Delicious" Mix
I take note, LukasL! Hat and OH's were a PITA and I really didn't know what to do with them! I wanted the hat more center panned and I had to fight the OH's mics stereo image. Sadly, I failed to see how much easier and wiser just dimming the OH's would have been, so I ended up boosting the hat mic.

I was referencing Bowie's "Young Americans" for this one and I'm always intrigued how real drums recordings can be made to sound (especially back in the 70's/80's) so tightly placed, with no apparent stereo leaking at all (meaning, if the hat is panned right, it sounds as if it's coming only from the right, not fighting another left panned track where it is bleeding over).

Support my video work!
Advertisement: