Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bannockburn mix, my first time on this forum!
Hey guys! I've been recording and mixing metal for a pretty long time now, found this site, found this song which i thought was awesome, and gave mixing this a chance!

Everything seemed to be tracked extremely well, i was pleasantly surprised to see how fit all of the drum tracks were, everything seemed phase coherent to my ear.

I wasn't a huge fan of the guitar tones so i reamped the DI tracks with my 5150 through a mesa cab with an SM57 and a MD421 on the 4 rhythm tracks and the lead tracks were with an SM7 and different settings to add some separation.

Used waves plugins, i wanted to capture a very analog feel to the mix and tried to get a balance between a modern sound and the classic black metal sound(trying to achieve the best of both worlds), was a pretty straight forward mix, nothing too special, it was mixed in my headphones most of the time for a couple hours, not much reference in other places as of now.

Let me guys know what you think! if you have any questions, feel free to ask me!

.mp3    Cnoc An Tursa mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.23 MB)

.mp3    Cnoc An Tursa - Bannockburn.mp3 --  (Download: 11.23 MB)

Hello Niklas,

It sounds very good to me, your description matches the result i heard, I think it's a nice mix !
Thanks! I think i like the one i just posted a little better, i did 2 mixes of the song and turns out the first one translated better to my ears in different places and overall sounded a bit fuller and slightly less harsh, give it a listen and let me know what you think! \m/
Hey! Good job! And I agree with you, the first one is better.
Both mixes sounds awesome.
The guitars do the trick, the original tone is really muddy
first one. really like the revamped gtrs
Wow the re-amped guitars really make a difference in terms of the life of the mix. I'm impressed by how much better everything sits. Did you trigger / sample replace the drums? If so, what did you use? Great mix, I like it a lot.
gooooood job mann
Definitely the second posted (first mix as I understood) feels a lot better to me. More analog, as you describe
Did you use one of the H Plugins of Waves?