Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 2nd mix here! (looking for advice/criticism)
as the title says it's only my second mix on this forum just looking for some feedback! thanks in advance...

.mp3    NovaOneStudio_FourGraham.mp3 --  (Download: 3.17 MB)

one thing i failed to mention is i'm mixing using 20$ jvc ear buds...lmao
Balances are not that bad.
Your mix can definitely use speraretion in it. Spread the guitars hard left and right...
There are some snare samples that sound very weird like they missed the sync with the original track.
I think when you separate the tracks in the stereo field your mix will breath more. Right now it's kind of drowning in the middle.

I did this mix a long time ago but I used hard pan on some stuff and it definitely helped. You can check it out here
http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=14724
The mix is good enough, taking into account it's done on earbuds. There are issues, however, some of which are inevitable because of equipment used for monitoring.

I'm mixing that same song right now, and first thing I noticed is that there's a serious time mismatch in drum room track. It can be fixed by manually aligning it to overheads, as it's noticeably later than the rest of the kit. Guitars are masking each other, so you'd better EQ them really differently to give each some own space, and only then pan them accordingly. This way you'll get both nice stereo image and mono compatibility, which is still crucial even nowadays. Also, I think backing vocals jump out too much in certain places, and there's too much reverb on vocals in general. You probably don't even notice that in your earbuds (because they mask a lot of detail, including early reverb reflections), so I strongly advice to save some bucks and buy better headphones, as proper room treatment necessary to use nearfields at home will cost an arm and a leg. You can start with something like Audiotechnica M series or lower end studio AKG, they are relatively cheap, but well built, and have a satisfactory frequency response.